Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK30 suddenly can't connect to internet but Plusnet Hub One still can

sungshine
Aspirant

Orbi RBK30 suddenly can't connect to internet but Plusnet Hub One still can

Hi All,

Yesterday out of the blue my RBR30 router decided to just stop working, but when I plug in my ISP provided Plusnet router everything works fine which means it shouldn't be an infra issue. I've checked my PPPoE settings and they're definitely correct.

Has any one seen this kind of problem before or can offer any suggestions please? I've tried all of the below.  If I've missed anything please let me know and I can try and fill in the blanks! No idea why this would have happened suddenly

• Orbi is connected via Openreach modem (HG612) to Plusnet via PPPoE (login/pw are definitely correct)

• Thought it might have been the modem so bought a new one but issues persist

• Tried resetting modem and router together and individually

• Tried setting up Orbi as if brand new

• I had firmware 2.6.2.104 installed.  Incase there was an issue with this firmware I manually installed 2.6.1.36 again but no success

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK30 suddenly can't connect to internet but Plusnet Hub One still can

@sungshine wrote:

Yesterday out of the blue my RBR30 router decided to just stop working,

• Tried setting up Orbi as if brand new

• I had firmware 2.6.2.104 installed.  Incase there was an issue with this firmware I manually installed 2.6.1.36 again but no success

These steps seem to indicate that the router functions to some extent.

• Does it broadcast WiFi and devices can connect to the router?
  • When connected to the modem, do the Internet Settings show a public IP address?
  • Is it perhaps an issue with DNS, which makes most applications fail because they cannot resolve internet addresses?
    i.e. can you 'ping' a number address such as 1.1.1.1,
    but cannot ping one.one.one.one
Message 2 of 5
sungshine
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply @CrimpOn 

• Does it broadcast WiFi and devices can connect to the router?
    Yes I can connect to the router, but it will always say no internet is available
  • When connected to the modem, do the Internet Settings show a public IP address?There doesn't seem to be any IP address or DNS info when I plug my laptop in to the Orbi via ethernet
  • Is it perhaps an issue with DNS, which makes most applications fail because they cannot resolve internet addresses?
    No connection was able to be established using 1.1.1.1 or any other

Do you think DNS setting could explain why router from Plusnet ISP works fine but the Orbi doesn't?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

The router clearly functions: (a) it broadcasts WiFi and accepts connections, (b) it is possible to manually upload firmware to the router.

What does the web interface,Advanced Tab show for "Internet Port" (see attached)?

If there is a public IP address in this box, then it is connected to Plusnet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network 

By 'ping', I was referring specifically to sending ICMP package (commonly called "ping"). When DNS is not working, a computer can usually ping a numeric IP address, but domain names will not resolve into IP addresses.

There is certainly no harm in defining your own DNS servers.  As the image shows, today I am using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8..4.4 (Google) andn 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare).

Message 4 of 5
sungshine
Aspirant

Openreach were out this morning and found a pretty big fault in the line, plus the fact my cable was 4 inches underwater at the point it connected with the rest of the street probably didn't help, plus cable somewhere had some other fault where I was only getting half speed.

Once that was completed I literally plugged the modem + Orbi back in and DSL was solid green within about 10 seconds.

Thanks @CrimpOn for trying to help resolve this.  It was very much appreciated. 

Still baffles me how Plusnet One router could pick up the weakened signal when the better hardware couldn't!

I will now try to figure out how to close this post....

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7