Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 Firewall Blocking ESET Antivirus Updates

DK62
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 Firewall Blocking ESET Antivirus Updates

I use ESET antivirus on my mac computer running OS Catalina. I've recently installed an Orbi mesh router in my home. Now my ESET gives an error when trying to update the virus signature modules. I've isolated the problem to the Netgear Firewall (when I connect my computer to the internet via a cellphone on a different network, the modules update fine). How can I fix the Netgear firewall to allow ESET to update modules?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 Firewall Blocking ESET Antivirus Updates

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Orbi doesn't block security progrems or update processes for app or other devices. 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@DK62 wrote:

I use ESET antivirus on my mac computer running OS Catalina. I've recently installed an Orbi mesh router in my home. Now my ESET gives an error when trying to update the virus signature modules. I've isolated the problem to the Netgear Firewall (when I connect my computer to the internet via a cellphone on a different network, the modules update fine). How can I fix the Netgear firewall to allow ESET to update modules?

By chance is Bitdefender Armor activated on this Orbi?

Message 3 of 7
DK62
Aspirant

I just checked and my firmware is the latest version. I'm pretty sure my modem isn't the issue. However, I do use OpenDNS. I wonder if that would be the problem. 

Message 4 of 7
DK62
Aspirant

No. I learned my lesson on that back in December and contacted Bitdefender's tech support to delete my account. 

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you use default DNS seen or detected by the RBR? 

Modem mfr and model is helpful. We are just checking for any router and wifi here is all. Helps us determine this as this can cause problems if present. 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@DK62 wrote:

I do use OpenDNS. I wonder if that would be the problem. 

Aha!  Something easy to test.  Change the DNS entries to Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  If OpenDNS is the culprit, you will know almost instantly!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7