Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 Wireless Speeds are Half of Wired

mike-armour
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 Wireless Speeds are Half of Wired

We recently upgraded our cable internet (Xfinity) and had to replace the old cable modem (SurfBoard) with a new Netgear CM1100. With the new cable modem in place, my wireless speeds on my laptop (did not move the laptop - it's at my desk where it always is) dropped from approx 380Mbps to 315Mbps.

The crazy thing is, speed test from the Orbi web console shows speeds over 900Mbps - so my wireless should be much higher. computers connected directly via ethernet confirm these speed test results. (see attached image)

The distance from my router to my satellite is probably around 30 ft.

The other weird thing is that my laptop connects to the Orbi router rather than the Satelite, which is sitting less than 3 feet away from the latop.

I've check all the settings I know how to check and did some web searching to make sure I was not overlooking anything.

I have attached my Orbi wireless settings in the image.

Router Firmware: V2.7.2.104

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi RBK50 Wireless Speeds are Half of Wired

OK. Sounds like you're seeing typical numbers in a "crowded" environment. As you may know WiFi interference is quite common in condo/apartment situations. Especially when lots of folks have powerful routers (like ORBI).

Here's a link to an article describing basic how/why WiFi signals get derated with interference:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

One technique is to switch channels from auto to manual and choose a "clearer" channel. Typically Channels 1,6, or 11 for the 2.4 gHz. The 5 gHz channels have a different division scheme. Here's another link to an article regarding channel settings to try:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-chan...

The issue with your laptop not connecting to the nearest satellite may be simply a false display on the we-based ORBI gui or the Orbi iOS app. This happens quite often as the ORBI system really doesn't report the changeover very quickly. I've seen it take up to 10 minutes to report the swap from an router to a satellite (or vice-versa). Try telling your laptop to "Forget this Network" and reinitialize the WiFi service. 

Finally, 2.7.2.104 firmware is getting a reputation of not being the best release for lots of reasons. I'm running 2.7.2.102 and haven't updated yet. I don't plan to anytime soon as my system is running quite well. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
tucsontico
Virtuoso

The built-in Speedtest on the ORBI app and web-based GUI are nortoriously inaccurate. A few questions first:

1) What speed did you upgrade to on Xfinity?

2) Have you done a speed check with any third party apps, e.g., Dr WiFI, WiFi Sweetspot, etc.?

3) What wired speeds are you getting if you connect directly to the modem?

4) I noticed you have 2.7.2.104 firmwre installed. Did you power cycle the modem and ORBI system after the install?

Remember that the max speed on 2.4 gHz is 400 Mbps and 866 Mbps on 5 gHz. This driven by the ORBI hardware. To get higher speeds you'll need to upgrade to a WiFi AX router and even then, as the car manufactuers say: "Your mileage may vary." Alot of things can modify your speeds throughout the day and you have little or no control over them, i.e., bandwidth usage by neighbors, channel interference by appliances, etc.

As a point of reference, I have the Xfinity 1 Gbps download/40 Mbps upload and my WiFi speeds come close to the max limits listed above. I live in a semi-rural area where my nearest neighbor is several hundred yards away. I also have a pretty open plan house which allows almost unrestricted flow of 2.4 and 5 gHz signals.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

WiFi speeds on 2.4 nor 5Ghz will never be seen near 900Mpbs. Due to limitations on wifi devices and support most will max out at around 400-500Mpbs on 5ghz, even less on 2.4ghz. Wired speed should near near 900Mpbs or just over. Nature of the beast. 

@mike-armour wrote:

We recently upgraded our cable internet (Xfinity) and had to replace the old cable modem (SurfBoard) with a new Netgear CM1100. With the new cable modem in place, my wireless speeds on my laptop (did not move the laptop - it's at my desk where it always is) dropped from approx 380Mbps to 315Mbps.

The crazy thing is, speed test from the Orbi web console shows speeds over 900Mbps - so my wireless should be much higher. computers connected directly via ethernet confirm these speed test results. (see attached image)

The distance from my router to my satellite is probably around 30 ft.

The other weird thing is that my laptop connects to the Orbi router rather than the Satelite, which is sitting less than 3 feet away from the latop.

I've check all the settings I know how to check and did some web searching to make sure I was not overlooking anything.

I have attached my Orbi wireless settings in the image.

Router Firmware: V2.7.2.104

Message 3 of 7
mike-armour
Aspirant

While I appreciate the feedback - I am fairly certain that there might be some cofiguration tweaks on the Orbi that I am overlooking.

I get that wireless will never be as fast as wired, however, considering I have an open floor plan and the computres in question have an unobstructed line of site to the router and satelite - I should be getting better than 300Mbps.

Netgear advertises speeds contraty to your statement right on their techincal specs: • Implicit/Explicit Beamforming for 2.4 &
5GHz bands (1733+866+400Mbps)

Additoanlly - per (https://socialwifi.com/knowledge-base/wifi-technology/difference-between-24-and-5-ghz-wifi/#:~:text=...Under ideal conditions, 2.4 GHz WiFi will support up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps, while 5 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 1300 Mbps. But be careful! The maximum speed dependent on what wireless standard a router supports — 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, or 802.11ac.

Additoanlly - the second ask was if there was a way to ensure my laptop connects directly the satelite that is sitting less than 3 ft away - vs the router that is farther away.

Message 4 of 7
mike-armour
Aspirant

@tucsontico 

Thanks for the input - our interior setup is similar to your except for we live in a downtown condo. That said your metrics are what I am expecting to see.

1. We upgraded to Xfinity 1Gbps
  2. So far - I have just been using Speedtest on the computers connected via wire and wireless as well as the speedtest gui. I'll investigate some of the apps you are recommending.
  3. I am seing 800Mbps to 900Mbps - as I expect to.
  4. Yes - I power cycled both the router and the satelite.

I had not acounted for the wireless in other units potentially affecting our wifi speed. Our condos are like cement boxes stacked on each other as opposed to a wood and drywall exterior.

I am hoping I have just overlooked a setting on the Orbi.

Message 5 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

OK. Sounds like you're seeing typical numbers in a "crowded" environment. As you may know WiFi interference is quite common in condo/apartment situations. Especially when lots of folks have powerful routers (like ORBI).

Here's a link to an article describing basic how/why WiFi signals get derated with interference:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

One technique is to switch channels from auto to manual and choose a "clearer" channel. Typically Channels 1,6, or 11 for the 2.4 gHz. The 5 gHz channels have a different division scheme. Here's another link to an article regarding channel settings to try:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-chan...

The issue with your laptop not connecting to the nearest satellite may be simply a false display on the we-based ORBI gui or the Orbi iOS app. This happens quite often as the ORBI system really doesn't report the changeover very quickly. I've seen it take up to 10 minutes to report the swap from an router to a satellite (or vice-versa). Try telling your laptop to "Forget this Network" and reinitialize the WiFi service. 

Finally, 2.7.2.104 firmware is getting a reputation of not being the best release for lots of reasons. I'm running 2.7.2.102 and haven't updated yet. I don't plan to anytime soon as my system is running quite well. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Good Luck!

Message 6 of 7
mike-armour
Aspirant

@tucsontico 

Thanks for the great links and helpful infomration.

My router is sitting at channel 48 on the 5ghz spectrum (which is what my laptops connect to) and thanks to your post - I used vistumbler to see that there is only one other router usins the exact same channel.

That said - there are a lot of routers close by that are using the other 3 available 5ghz channels.

The Netgear Orbi does not allow for manual DFS entry so I cannot bump the router to one of the higher available channel spectrums.

I have a feeling I am just stuck with what I am getting for my wireless speeds for now unless I do the $$$ for the newer AX router.

Thanks for all the information you shared - it was helpful and I learned something new!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7