Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 and Virgin Superhub 3

Orbi RBK50 and Virgin Superhub 3

If anybody would like help in setting up their new Orbi optimally with the Virgin Super Hub 3 then please reply to this post.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 and Virgin Superhub 3

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 13

Hi FURRYe38
I posted as I wanted to help anyone who was having issues with setting the orbi up with superhub 3, as I read some horror stories both on here and on the Birgin communities. I still went out and bought one as I thought it was the best option for my house and it 20 or so devices, including 4 gaming consoles.
I’m very much a novice, but I have found I’m one of the lucky ones who seems to have a hub 3 which is not broken, at least in its ability to switch to modem mode with no difficulty.
I read all the posts and decided that, contrary to what the orbi set up process advised, set the orbi up first with the superhub, (now successfully in modem mode), switched off, as many posts described problems when doing this the other way round.
That is to say I initialised the orbi to a point where it sensed there was no internet and asked me to reboot my modem. At that point, and not before I switched on the Hub.
I made sure that before all this a had my orbi router in its place, the satellite where it was going to go and the orbi app on my phone.
1st I connected the Ethernet cable from the lowest port on the hub to the WAN port on the orbi, and powered on. I opened the app. The app knows there is a router. After failing to connect wirelessly to the router (there is of course no internet at this stage) it asked me to scan the bar code on the bottom of the router. Once this is done just follow the instructions to set up. This starts with the instruction to reboot the modem. One I did this it took less than 3 minuits for the orbi to establish connection with no issues. I did a quick speed test on the app to see if the full bandwidth was being passed to the orbi via the Ethernet cable and it was, all 381mps (I have vivid 350 with Virgin). It set up the satellite with no issues and I went round the house with my iPhone and Ookla Speedtest and was staggered to find WiFi speeds in most areas of between 340-380 nearly every time. I’m very pleased with my purchase.
However! Time will tell on the stability and the ability of the orbi to dish out smooth constant connections to all those devices.
One interesting thing to note, which was very handy for me, having young kids in the house, is that putting the hub into modem mode does not affect Virgins parental controles, so that was something I did not need to sort out on the Orbi.
I hope this might help someone else who wants to set up their orbi with superhub 3 in modem mode, as, while not being the only method you can use to do this, is by far the most efficient and less likely to degrade speeds, and also less likely to produce future issues, from one I have concluded on reading all the posts.
A lot of the posts related to faulty hubs so if you find difficulties with getting the hub into modem mode, eg red status light, them complain like hell to Virgin to get you a new hub, after all they are offering modem mode on their product and it needs to work in that way.
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that you were able to find solutions for this particular modem. I posted my info for additional help and information is all. It's a start. Hopefully with all this information, HUB 3 users will be able to get everything working well when using the Orbi system with this modem.

You can set up the Orbi using a PC or Laptop connected to the Orbi as well, wired or wireless with a web browser. However for those having modems with built in routers, it's best to pre-configure them first before setting up the Orbi router. The options are there for review.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 13

Yes your right on that, in fact all your information no doubt comes from experience in this field, and I’m sure will help lots of people like me, who will possibly, at least in this field always be a novice of sorts. I just wanted a good system that decides itself what to do with all the devices so I dont have to!! My system has only been up for a couple of days so we will see how it goes. I know there are options to tweak things so I may have to learn at leat some basics moving forward.
I would like to ask one question. Should I reboot the orbi now and then, even if there doesn’t appear to be any issues?, as I have read that this is a healthy practice??
Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe every now and then might be ok. I've not rebooted my system unless I'm doing something or testing with it. I have a friend that I set up his system earlier this year, has not had a problem and hasn't been rebooted every now and then. I presume our power outages have take care of some of this. Routers should not need rebooted every so often. Most routers work well with out reboots. If reboots seem to be needed more and more, then there maybe underlying issues that needs to be taken care of. 

I would leave it and run with it for a while. It should work well. 

Message 6 of 13

Thanks for the advice, I suppose it makes sense really when thinking about the old saying “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”! I shall leave all alone while well.
Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy it. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 13

Thanks for that... interesting reading hey. I noted the firmware on my hub is the latest, i hope nothing breaks on it... i suppose time will tell 

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, been issues with Intel chip sets. Just wanted you to be aware. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 13

Thank you  🙂 

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38