Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 keeps rebooting!

spinkick
Apprentice

I suspect many of the issues are client related. One way to try is to shut down groups of devices from connecting and slowly add more in, see if you can narrow it down. An example of this is that pixel 2 devices and Android 8.x devices are being reported rebooting routers. Mine was an issue as well
Message 51 of 55
kolosok17
Guide

I am having the same issue on 2.0.0.74.

Yesterday, I made some changes to my DHCP configuration to ensure that some devices always get assigned the same IP. Ever since then, my Orbi system has been restarting itself every few hours. It's very annoying - I have dozens of devices (including a lot of smarthome equipment), so the network going down makes my whole home not work right.

Will try the latest firmware when I find some time.

Message 52 of 55
evancg
Guide

There is another thread going on right now about Google Home, and they've come to a similar conclusion we have - it probably isn't the Google Home, but it could certainly be a device that interacts with it? Or even more specifically, those of us with a Google Home are more likely to have Android phones.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Google-Home-causing-disconnect-reboot-of-Orbi/m-p/1455362

In my case, I got the Orbi a few days before I left for the holiday. I have a Galaxy Note 8. Annoyingly it was rebooting daily (sometimes several times a day). I felt so bad that it'd do that to my dogsitter, but got home and it had gone 6 straight days with NO reboots. Of course, she has an iPhone.

I've been home for 24 hours and it's already rebooted once. I know it's not a lot of evidence, but the pattern certainly fits. SOMEHOW, a Galaxy Note 8 - or Pixel - or possibly other Android phones - are causing the Orbi to reboot.

One additional note - it's unacceptable that a client device can cause a $300 router to force reboot.

Message 53 of 55
bowler
Aspirant

Interesting, my Orbi was rebooting several times a day but all of a sudden became stable and stayed up for over 7 days, however this lunchtime it decided to lock me out of the internet even though the modem was happily connected, ended up I did a power cycle and it came back up however since 1pm its rebooted 4 times.

On checking the debug page the CPU utilization seems very high at times for a router that is doing very little at the time, seems to have settled down now to between 5%-20%.

On firmware 2.1.1.16 and showing nothing connected to the satellite but there are 4 wired NAS devices connected that I can access happily so its all working but not displaying on either the Router or Satellite.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 54 of 55
mochild
Aspirant

I doubted that a client could do such a thing to a router, but I had my wife and son take their androids off of the wifi and it has been running 16+ hours with no issue.  Previously, 3 hours was about the best I could get.  I had her disable wifi during sleep (wifi settings, disable wifi during sleep = set it to never) and had her rejoin wifi and so far, so good.  I think this article points out what is happening:  https://9to5google.com/2018/01/15/google-chromecast-home-wifi-outage/

Hope that helps!

Mike

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 55 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7