Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR/RBS50 Firmware Update - firmware file is incorrect

jiac
Guide

Orbi RBR/RBS50 Firmware Update - firmware file is incorrect

My current firmware for my new Orbi RBR50 Router is V2.1.4.16_1.1.23. While trying to download and install the latest firmware update (Version 2.2.1.210), following all the instructions to the letter, I keep getting the error message: 

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.
This screen will automatically return to the previous screen in a few seconds...

I saw on another post that this was the setting for his successful setup of the two systems: BOSE SOUNDTOUCH + ORBI RBR50 Router so that is why I'm keen to update the firmware.

I am pretty sure I downloaded and I am uploading the correct firmware from netgear's website itself. What could I be doing wrong? Please help!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
jiac
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR/RBS50 Firmware Update - firmware file is incorrect

Dear All,

I have gotten to the bottom of the issue finally! My Internet Service Provider (ISP) confirmed with me that their co-branded software is the one preventing all the manual firmware updates I am doing. So unless they themselves release the next firmware update, then I can't do anything else for now Smiley Sad. Very frustrating but at least that much has been made clear! At the moment I wouldn't want to hijack my system to netgear default system (removing the co-branding software from the ISP) as it may render it useless for this specific ISP and then they'll penalize me for ruining the device.

Thank you to all who helped.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If you got your Orbi from that ISP who has there branding on the case, then you'll need to contact them as they will probably have updated FW for there Orbi systems. Sometimes ISP get HW from NG and the ISP develop there own FW on NG hardware. In this case, the FW from NG will not work on a specifi branded Orbi system. 

@jiac wrote:

Please reflash the same firmware version (v2.1.4.16_1.1.23). Once done, try again the auto firmware update. 

I'm sorry, I googled how to reflash firmware and I saw an article but it seems very technical and involves hardware tweaking. Might be a bit too technical for me. Otherwise, could you share how one could reflash the firmware as suggested, please? (sorry if it sounds like spoonfeeding... I'm just a layman).

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 20

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using?

Try IE11, FF or Opera. 

Besure that your unpacking the .zip file after downloading the file. 

Getting the files from this location? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

Besure your model matches. RBR and RBK50 are the same and files should work for both.

Does Auto Update not work to update the system? 

@jiac wrote:

My current firmware for my new Orbi RBR50 Router is V2.1.4.16_1.1.23. While trying to download and install the latest firmware update (Version 2.2.1.210), following all the instructions to the letter, I keep getting the error message: 

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.
This screen will automatically return to the previous screen in a few seconds...

I saw on another post that this was the setting for his successful setup of the two systems: BOSE SOUNDTOUCH + ORBI RBR50 Router so that is why I'm keen to update the firmware.

I am pretty sure I downloaded and I am uploading the correct firmware from netgear's website itself. What could I be doing wrong? Please help!

Message 2 of 20
jiac
Guide

Hello,

Previously I was using google chrome, now I just tried it using firefox. Same error message:

Yes, the downloaded file was obtained from https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

and the filename is RBR50-V2.2.1.210.img which I have extracted from the downloaded zip file (from said website).

No, I don't think so. In the ONLINE UPDATE tab of the firmware page it says:

No new firmware version available.

Current firmware I have as indicated is V2.1.4.16_1.1.23

I only have one RBR50 router and no satellites.

I don't understand why the firmware is not correct 😞

Message 3 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jiac

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Please reflash the same firmware version (v2.1.4.16_1.1.23). Once done, try again the auto firmware update. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 4 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if re-loading v16 FW then trying Auto update as suggested, or manual v210 file load helps. I would factory reset the router after applying v16. This might trigger the auto upate to process v210. 

@jiac wrote:

Hello,

Previously I was using google chrome, now I just tried it using firefox. Same error message:

Yes, the downloaded file was obtained from https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

and the filename is RBR50-V2.2.1.210.img which I have extracted from the downloaded zip file (from said website).

No, I don't think so. In the ONLINE UPDATE tab of the firmware page it says:

No new firmware version available.

Current firmware I have as indicated is V2.1.4.16_1.1.23

I only have one RBR50 router and no satellites.

I don't understand why the firmware is not correct 😞

Message 5 of 20
jiac
Guide

I'm sorry, I googled how to reflash firmware and I saw an article but it seems very technical and involves hardware tweaking. Might be a bit too technical for me. Otherwise, could you share how one could reflash the firmware as suggested, please? (sorry if it sounds like spoonfeeding... I'm just a layman).

Message 6 of 20

@jiac wrote:

It isn't that hard.Simply a base of using a browser to get at the Orbi. No hardware tweaking required.

Ignore the stuff you see out in webland, just read the release notes for the firmware you need:

RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.1.4.16 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Message 7 of 20
jiac
Guide

I did this today:

TRIED to manually update firmware downloaded from orbi V2.1.4.16 as per your advice. Followed all instructions to the letter and this is the error message I get right after uploading:

Still cannot find viable solution how to install the latest firmware. 😞

@michaelkenward wrote:

@jiac wrote:

It isn't that hard.Simply a base of using a browser to get at the Orbi. No hardware tweaking required.

Ignore the stuff you see out in webland, just read the release notes for the firmware you need:

RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.1.4.16 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Message 8 of 20

@jiac wrote:

I did this today:

TRIED to manually update firmware downloaded from orbi V2.1.4.16 as per your advice. Followed all instructions to the letter and this is the error message I get right after uploading:

Strange. Can you check again the currently installed version?

You could see if a factory reset will unclog the thing.

Is there anything else on your network? The modem, for example, what is it?

Message 9 of 20
jiac
Guide

@michaelkenward 

I took snapshots of the setup in my apartment. Please note that these have been setup by others and we are just end users (I'm not a very technical person):

Screenshot_20190203-161643.jpg

Screenshot_20190203-161756.jpg

This is the router information from the admin panel:

orbi setup.png

Thank you.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@jiac wrote:

I did this today:

Strange. Can you check again the currently installed version?

You could see if a factory reset will unclog the thing.

Message 10 of 20
ebrahimosman
Initiate

Hey.

I registered literally to help you.

Had the exact same issue. Found I had to download and install the next immediate firmware released after the one installed on the router. If you access the support page of your router. Under downloads. You’ll see “Previous Versions” click and find the next version number after yours and keep going up. After updating try “Checking for Firmware” on the router. If nothing is detected. Update to the next available

Going up until the router eventually auto detected the latest and updated for me.

For some reason you cannot directly update from such a older version straight to the newest. Never worked for me. Same error message.

Once I started updating one by one as released I came right. And have had no issues ever since.
Message 11 of 20
Chuck_M
Mentor

I just looked at his situation and made a new thread on it.  His scenario is a little different.  he has the previous version of firmware (not mulitple versions ago) .  His orbi is "branded" with his ISPs company name in the GUI!  

I tried rolling back and rolling forward firmware and it will not take any .img file upon upload.

Please provide comments on the new thread that talks to this Branding issue.

Message 12 of 20

@Chuck_M wrote:

I just looked at his situation and made a new thread on it. 

Branded Orbi's Firmware Un-Updatable? - NETGEAR Communities

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

If you got your Orbi from that ISP who has there branding on the case, then you'll need to contact them as they will probably have updated FW for there Orbi systems. Sometimes ISP get HW from NG and the ISP develop there own FW on NG hardware. In this case, the FW from NG will not work on a specifi branded Orbi system. 

@jiac wrote:

Message 14 of 20
jiac
Guide

Dear All,

I have gotten to the bottom of the issue finally! My Internet Service Provider (ISP) confirmed with me that their co-branded software is the one preventing all the manual firmware updates I am doing. So unless they themselves release the next firmware update, then I can't do anything else for now Smiley Sad. Very frustrating but at least that much has been made clear! At the moment I wouldn't want to hijack my system to netgear default system (removing the co-branding software from the ISP) as it may render it useless for this specific ISP and then they'll penalize me for ruining the device.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@jiac wrote:

Message 15 of 20

@jiac wrote:

Dear All,

I have gotten to the bottom of the issue finally! My Internet Service Provider (ISP) confirmed with me that their co-branded software is the one preventing all the manual firmware updates I am doing.

That's interesting. l know that Netgear has provided ISP and retailer branded devices with their own firmware, but this is the first time I have see any mention of Orbi devices with the same restrictions.

I wonder if there is any way of forcing these devices to accept the "official" firmware.

Message 16 of 20
jiac
Guide

According to my ISP, only they can do the upgrade. If I hijack it I may render it useless for this particular ISP. The orbi device was paid for separately and hijacking the software that came with it might void any warranties we can claim in the future, aside from the risk of making it useless too.

I guess I'll just have to accept my fate :-(.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@jiac wrote:

Dear All,

I have gotten to the bottom of the issue finally! My Internet Service Provider (ISP) confirmed with me that their co-branded software is the one preventing all the manual firmware updates I am doing.

That's interesting. l know that Netgear has provided ISP and retailer branded devices with their own firmware, but this is the first time I have see any mention of Orbi devices with the same restrictions.

I wonder if there is any way of forcing these devices to accept the "official" firmware.

Message 17 of 20

@jiac wrote:

The orbi device was paid for separately and hijacking the software that came with it might void any warranties we can claim in the future, aside from the risk of making it useless too.

I don't understand. Your ISP sold you a branded Orbi device, and then refuses to keep it up to date?

Message 18 of 20
jiac
Guide

Yes, so it seems. They can't help me any more than apologize for any inconvenience. Unfortunately that's the kind of customer service we get here in Qatar. They are no so proactive with these things.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@jiac wrote:

The orbi device was paid for separately and hijacking the software that came with it might void any warranties we can claim in the future, aside from the risk of making it useless too.

I don't understand. Your ISP sold you a branded Orbi device, and then refuses to keep it up to date?

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Yes, some ISP get hardward specific from router Mfrs and then the ISP do there own FW development on them. Most of the time, this prevents any stock or NG OEM FW from being loaded and only ISP developed FW can only be loaded. So you'll have to keep on the ISP to get updates for your system, of if you have the ability and availability of getting a "retail" Orbi system, then you have the resources to get NG OEM FW udpates as they come out from NG. 

Good Luck. 

@jiac wrote:

Dear All,

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@jiac wrote:

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7