Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 is Blocking Email Messages From Being Sent

WGFLMAN
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 is Blocking Email Messages From Being Sent

Hello everyone.  I'm new to the community, so please bear with me if I'm doing anything that does not follow normal protocol.  🙂

Lots of details to share, but hoping that someone might be able to help, as I've reached the end of my proverbial rope technically.

For 6 months, I had no issues at all with my orbi RBR20 system, primarily supporting (2) computers running MS Outlook, (2) iPhone and (2) iPads, running the Apple email client.  Then, about 5-6 weeks ago (yes, I've been dealing with this issue for that long), on a given weekend both computers and all Apple devices could suddently not longer send email through the Orbi router, neither wireless, or even one computer that is hardwired via ethernet into the Orbi router.  Receiving emails fine and no problem with internet connection... just sending emails.  Then, the troublshooting journey began.

I discovered that when turning off wi-fi on my cell phone that emails would magically send. I could also send emails from my phone when away from my house, or connected to another wi-fi network.  So, I tried deleting and adding accounts on all devices and computers (multiple times) with no luck, called Spectrum tech support four different times and after all that (along with some research online), have my crosshairs set on the Orbi.

This was confirmed after changing out my Spectrum-assigned cable modem for a new one (model# Hitron EN2251), and even removing the hardwire from the Orbi router and plugging it directly into the cable modem, emails sent as they normally should.  Then I hardwired my computer back into the Orbi and the sending of emials came to a grinding halt.

So, I tried power cycling the Orbi system, and amazingly, a few test emails from my computer slipped through my outbox, but shortly afterward, no more emails were able to be sent.  Tried another power cycle, but no luck at all getting emails to send.  Finally, did a factory reset and started from scratch, installing the Orbi system as if it had come straingth out of the box.  No luck at all with emails being sent.

Next, was my call to Netgear, wondering if there might be a hardware failure that would be covered by the 1 year warranty.  After answering some questions by the rep, it was determined by them that the Orbi was fine and that there must be some router settings that would need to be made in order to rectify the problem.  It was then that I was informed that my complimentary 3 months of phone support had expired and that I'd be looking at paying $89 for a 6 month "support contract" to cover all of my network equipment.  Are you serious right now?!  I don't need a 6 month contract.  I don't need coverage on all of my network gear.  What I need is a 10-15 minute conversation with a tech that can tell me to adjust some router settings and tell me to go on my merry way!

Again, it is glaringly obvious that the ultimate solution to this problem is in some router settings, but unfortunately, the reseach that I've been able to do, combined with my mediocre technical level have led me to asking for a life preserver to be tossed my way.  Any help that might be able to be provided would be GREATLY appreciated!

Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 is Blocking Email Messages From Being Sent

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

@WGFLMAN wrote:

Again, it is glaringly obvious that the ultimate solution to this problem is in some router settings, but unfortunately, the reseach that I've been able to do, combined with my mediocre technical level have led me to asking for a life preserver to be tossed my way.  Any help that might be able to be provided would be GREATLY appreciated!

When a system works for six months and then suddenly stops working, usually "something changed." There may have been software updates to the Windows and Apple products. There could have been a software update on the Orbi.  From the description, it does not sound as if any changes were made to the Orbi configuration.

The Hitron EN2251 is "only a modem" (no router or WiFi capability).  When the computer is connected directly to the modem, the connection is "public" as far as the Windows Firewall is concerned and the ISP's DNS servers are used to resolve internet connections. (unless the user has elected to define DNS servers in the Network Control Panel.)  When the Orbi is connected, it uses the single "public IP address and uses Network Address Translation (NAT) to provide internet access to devices connected to the Orbi. To the Windows Firewall, the connection will now be a "private" network as far as the Windows Firewall is concerned.

Could you describe the type of email services being used?  (i.e. corporate Microsoft Exchange servers, Office 365, Gmail, AOL, other?)

Message 3 of 25
WGFLMAN
Aspirant

I've got the latest firmware version, which is V2.5.1.16.

As mentioned, the cable modem provided by Spectrum is a Hitron EN2251.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 25
WGFLMAN
Aspirant

Thanks much CrimpOn!

Yes, I suspect that something did indeed "change" after 6 months of worry free internet and email usage that I had experiences with my Orbi RBR20.  However, the fact that both my Microsoft (Outlook) and Apple (iPhones and ipads) ALL quit sending emails at the same time, leads me to believe that it is not something on their end, but rather the Orbi router and associatd setting(s) that may now need tweaking.

I have firware updates on the Orbi scheduled to take place automatically, so perhaps an update from their side may have caused the disruption of sending emails.

Regarding your question on type of email services... I'm simply using Outlook 2010 (I know, I know, I need to update) set up as an IMAP account through my ISP, Spectrum (formerly Brighthouse).

Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off the Orbi system and ISP modem for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update?

Message 6 of 25
WGFLMAN
Aspirant

Yes, both times that I did the power cycle on the Orbi, I also disconnected power from my cable modem to restart it... well over a minute.

Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Armor or Circle enabled on the RBR? 

I would presume something either at the ISP or mail services level needs to be looked at. If this had been working in the past with out any changes on the Orbi system, then all of a sudden stopped, would not be a Orbi problem I believe. 

You can try a factory reset on the Orbi system however I would first look at the ISP or mail system first.

Message 8 of 25
WGFLMAN
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38

The trial period offered for Netgear Armor has long expired (I did not subscribe after that) and I do not have Circle enabled.

I've talked to my ISP four times and they are holding their ground on the fact that if I'm able to send email via their Webmail service (which I can with no problems at all), then all from their side is working and that it is either something that Microsoft (Outlook on two computers) or Apple (their mail client on two phone and two ipads) have changed.  I'm simply not believing that to be the case due to the fact that all SIX devices stopped being albe to send email at the same time.  This is combined with the fact that I'm able to send email when hardwired directly from the computers into the cable modem and also able to send email from both iPhones when disconnected from wi-fi and using cellular service to send.

I really appreciate those trying to help me out, but cringe at the thought of having to pay Netgear $89 to help fix this problem.

Ugh!

Message 9 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Is IPv6 enabled under Advanced Tab/Advanced settings? 

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch and power OFF the modem for 1 minute during the reset of the RBR. Power back on then walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR with 1 wired PC connected and use a web browser. I would turn OFF ALL devices until after the RBR is setup. Then test 1 PC with email and see. 

Message 10 of 25
WGFLMAN
Aspirant

IPv6 is disabled.  Should it be enabled?

This weekend, I'll try disconnecting the cable modem, while resetting my Orbi RBR20 to complete factory default and setting up all over again (I tried this earlier in the week, but willing to try almost anything at this point).

Will advise  once I've done that, as the main challege in doing the reset is that (gasp!), there will be no internet in the house for my poor family members. Smiley Surprised

Message 11 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

If your ISP doesn't natively support IPv6, it should be disabled. 

Try to do this when most are away or not using the internet. 

After you reset and setup from scratch, be sure to save off a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed in the future. 

Message 12 of 25
fmalloy
Luminary

Maybe check ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Port Forwarding/Port Triggering

ADVANCED > Security > Block Services

Anything there? It sounds like something is blocking the port used to send email.

Maybe check:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/new-router-now-i-cant-send-mail-using-outlook...

https://www.ads-links.com/how-to-fix-outlook-2007-cannot-send-email-problem-with-windows-vista-links...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Outbound-Mail-Blocked/td-p/1359201

Message 13 of 25
fmalloy
Luminary

Maybe try to send an email, then check your log:

ADVANCED > Administration > Logs

Good luck! 

Message 14 of 25
WGFLMAN
Aspirant

Just tried sending email from laptop using Outlook client, and email is stuck in outbox.

I have no idea what this log info means that I looked up, but here goes...

[admin login] from source 192.168.1.14, Saturday, November 21, 2020 23:39:28

PS - I went over to my daughters house this afternoon and took three Apple devices and a laptop running Oulook client and was able to send email, after email after email with no issues at all.  They also have Spectrum as their ISP and user a Netgear wireless router (Nighthawk AC1750), so it remains glaringly obvious that it is not Spectrum, it is not Appl and it is not Microsoft causing the bottleneck, but something that changed, causing a router setting to get messed up somewhere along the line.

Message 15 of 25
WGFLMAN
Aspirant

I checked the Port Forwarding/Port Triggering....

Port Forwarding radio button is checked (not Port Triggering).

Service Name is set to FTP and Server IP Address is 192.168.1 (there is a fourth box where numbers could potentially go in, but not getting out of my small scope of knowledge).

Checked Security > Block Services and Services Blocking is set to "Never"

I'll read through the links that you sent tomorrow, to see if I can find anything.  Otherwise, I may need to compare all of my router settings with either those of my daughter with the Netgear Nighthawk, or even those of one of my sons, who also has an Orbi mesh system to compare my router settings with his.

I'll get to the bottom of this one somehow and really, really appreciate all of the support that each of you are showing to help me get there!

Message 16 of 25
fmalloy
Luminary

After you sent the mail, scroll thru the log (you only show one line) as it is scrollable and look for the time you tried to send the email, and see if there are any messages that could indicate something went wrong trying to send the email.

If you have reset the router there shouldn't be any settings that could cause this.

Message 17 of 25
fmalloy
Luminary

Thinking about this some more, there is one more variable - your cable modem. It is possible that the cable modem may have updated its firmware and settings got changed? Can you check  ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Router / AP Mode - which is selected, Router or AP?

If it is Router, you want to make sure that your cable modem also isn't configured to be a router,  as you don't want them stepping on each other. 

Is there a way for you to check the settings on your cable modem? It could be the Orbi is trying to send the email but the cable modem could be blocking it. I know that you said if you plug directly into the cable modem it works, but it could be that the cable modem + Orbi is causing a conflict.

Message 18 of 25
WGFLMAN
Aspirant

OK, here is the latest...

Today, I obtained a Netgear AC750 wireless router (very basic unit, I know), and replaced my Orbi RBR20 with it.  Got it all configured and able to send emails from all (4) Apple devices and (2) computers using Outlook with no problem at all.

So, it's not the devices...

It's not my cable modem...

It's not my ISP...

It's the Orbi.  I'm going to do a couple of things next:

1. Remove power to the cable modem and conduct a factory reset of the Orbi and set everything up from scratch.

2. Review all router settings with those of my youngest son, who also has an Orbi mesh system, to see if there is a setting(s) that differ and may be causing the emails to be blocked and not able to send.

If neither of those work, I can either pony up for the $89 and hope that my newly purchased Netgear "support plan" will get the issue solved for me, OR, simply purchase a different mesh system (eero 6 most likely) and get rid of the Orbi system.

I have exhasted the scope of my technical knowledge (not extensive, I admit), and really, really appreciate all of the help from each of you in trying to resolve this challenge that I've been trying to work through over the past month+.

Message 19 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem doesn't have a router built in so no need to configure AP mode on the RBR.

Let us know how it goes. Certainly a odd issue with the RBR. You might contact NG support to see if you have any options available to you.

@WGFLMAN wrote:

OK, here is the latest...

Today, I obtained a Netgear AC750 wireless router (very basic unit, I know), and replaced my Orbi RBR20 with it.  Got it all configured and able to send emails from all (4) Apple devices and (2) computers using Outlook with no problem at all.

So, it's not the devices...

It's not my cable modem...

It's not my ISP...

It's the Orbi.  I'm going to do a couple of things next:

1. Remove power to the cable modem and conduct a factory reset of the Orbi and set everything up from scratch.

2. Review all router settings with those of my youngest son, who also has an Orbi mesh system, to see if there is a setting(s) that differ and may be causing the emails to be blocked and not able to send.

If neither of those work, I can either pony up for the $89 and hope that my newly purchased Netgear "support plan" will get the issue solved for me, OR, simply purchase a different mesh system (eero 6 most likely) and get rid of the Orbi system.

I have exhasted the scope of my technical knowledge (not extensive, I admit), and really, really appreciate all of the help from each of you in trying to resolve this challenge that I've been trying to work through over the past month+.

Message 20 of 25
WGFLMAN
Aspirant

That is indeed correct... my cavle modem does not double as a wireless router, so no conflict there with the Orbi.

Well, tonight I did a full factory reset on the Orbi, powering down my cavle modem as well.  Did complete set up again, and the exact same problem persists.  Just so weird that jist prior to doing so, with a cheap, $39 Netgear Nighthawk wireless router installed, I was avle to send emails easily.

My whole family will be over for Thanksgiving, and all three of my sons want a "shot" at this issue.  They have no idea the extent that I've gone to in order to try and fix things.  I'll let them have-at-it, and if no luck, I'm ordering a different mesh system.  Any suggestions on a 3-piece dual or tri-band system?

Message 21 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

You might use the other router as your host router and just disable the wifi on it. Then configure the RBR for AP mode. This should work. While waiting to see if NG can help any.

I would make contact with NG support about this. Seems like maybe something in FW could be causing some problems when in router mode.

Message 22 of 25
WGFLMAN
Aspirant

Well, a couple of my sons were actually able to fix my issue, based on a post by someone from the NG Communities group (after our Thanksgiving dinner of course).

Below is the jist of the NG Communities post, which refers to their Nighthawk router, where mine is an Orbi mesh system.

So glad that I'm able to send emails again, and amazed at the number of you that have offered to help me out.  Much thanks!!!

Greg

"...The IP address is assigned by MAC address. The IP address that I was assigned this month was in fact Black Listed. No matter how many times I reset the cable modem or the router the factory defaults, I would be assigned the same Black Listed IP address. Under the Advanced tab of the Netgear Genie, under Setup, under Internet, you can change the MAC address of the router. The Default MAC address and "Use This MAC Address" are the same until you select "Use Computer MAC Address". Then "Use This MAC Address" is filled in with the address of the device you're using to manage the router. Changing the MAC address, got me a new IP that wasn't Black Listed. The fact that I used an older router with a different MAC address got me a different IP address. But when I hooked the Nighthawk back up I got the same Blacklisted IP. Different MAC address and now mail works fine in both directions."

Message 23 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad this wasn't a Orbi issue. Rather a configuration issue.

I'd make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 25
fmalloy
Luminary

Why on earth is your IP blacklisted from sending emails and who exactly is blacklisting it? Your ISP?

I’d say you definitely need to look into that....
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7