Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Frequently disconnecting/reconnecting to the Internet

Ninjahedge
Guide

Orbi RBR50 Frequently disconnecting/reconnecting to the Internet

I recently (February) bought the Orbi RBR50 from Costco to replace a rather expensive gaming router that needed to be power cycled every few days because it could not keep up with all the smart-home devices we have around the house.

It seemed to work great, but my wife kept saying she was having problems with work-from-home VPN connection. It would disconnect and connect again 20-30 seconds later.

Now that I am working from home, I am having similar problems. I will be typing on my remote desktop when, without any notice, no text would be entered. A few seconds later I will see the "disconnect, trying to connect 1 of 20" message appear. I usually reconnect in 10-15 seconds. Usually.

I have the Orbi connected to the Verizon Gigabit router. I am using its address as the DNS. Looking at the logs, there is a general error that appears to have something to do with transferring info to the "slaves":

Jun 6 17:16:51 202

0named[1430

]err<139>

zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa/IN/internal-clients: zone serial (2008122601) unchanged. zone may fail to transfer to slaves.

I have turned off the WFi to the FiOS router, so it is not a conflict with that, and the Orbi is set to be in AP mode. I have tried my machine directly connected to the Orbi and to the FiOS router (CAT5) and get the same problem.

The only thing I have not tried is turning off the Orbi and running directly from the Verizon router.

Has anyone else had similar? Any solutions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
mhbethany
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 Frequently disconnecting/reconnecting to the Internet

YES! I have th exact same problem. Our TV and Apple TV have pop ups that show each time internet was dropped. It happens multiple times per day and comes back quickly. But using apps like Sling and HBO Max, we get booted out and have to restart our program each time. It's SO frustrating. 

Also connected to Verizon Fios router with its WiFi signals turned off. Orbi in AP Mode. Happens either via WiFi or wired connection to Orbi satellites. RBR40 Orbi. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@mhbethany wrote:

YES! I have th exact same problem. Our TV and Apple TV have pop ups that show each time internet was dropped. It happens multiple times per day and comes back quickly. But using apps like Sling and HBO Max, we get booted out and have to restart our program each time. It's SO frustrating. 

Also connected to Verizon Fios router with its WiFi signals turned off. Orbi in AP Mode. Happens either via WiFi or wired connection to Orbi satellites. RBR40 Orbi. 

Message 3 of 5
Ninjahedge
Guide

Update.

I tried with just the Verizon Router, worked fine.

What I did last was use my old setup. I do not have it as AP, I have it setting up its own IP address chain and then connecting to the Verizon router. It does not drop anymore, but there is a down side.

I have the Net Server hooked to the Orbi. Works great if you hard wire to the Orbi or use one of its wireless signals. You CAN'T connect to it if you wire or link to the Verizon router.

Same exact problem I had last time with my previous router.

I was hoping I did not have this problem again, but back to the start.

(I am guessing it is an IP assignment glitch that causes a conflict. NONE of the remote items have been having a problem with this since I went back to the old setup...)

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If the ISP modem/ONT already has a built in router, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

You can try option #2 first and see if this helps any. 

@Ninjahedge wrote:

Update.

I tried with just the Verizon Router, worked fine.

What I did last was use my old setup. I do not have it as AP, I have it setting up its own IP address chain and then connecting to the Verizon router. It does not drop anymore, but there is a down side.

I have the Net Server hooked to the Orbi. Works great if you hard wire to the Orbi or use one of its wireless signals. You CAN'T connect to it if you wire or link to the Verizon router.

Same exact problem I had last time with my previous router.

I was hoping I did not have this problem again, but back to the start.

(I am guessing it is an IP assignment glitch that causes a conflict. NONE of the remote items have been having a problem with this since I went back to the old setup...)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7