Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 poor video call quality

packavette
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 poor video call quality

Hi, 

I have had the RBR50/RBS50 combination for a few years, and over the past few months have noticed an issue as we are working from home more and making more video calls.  When I have both the router and satellite turned on, my internet seems to work fine for simple web browsing, streaming Netflix, etc.; however, when we try to use Facetime or any other type of video chat we are unable to hear the other person clearly, and they have trouble hearing us as well.  If we unplug the satellite, the quality of video chats drastically improves, however the range throughout our home is more limited.  

Are there any setting I can check that may be the cause of this?  Through the Orbi app, I have verified we have the latest updates.  The router is on the 2nd floor, and satellite on 1st floor (3200 sq ft home).  Speedtest through the app shows 432 Mbps download, 23.4 Mbps upload. 

Thanks for any suggestions!  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 poor video call quality

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 6
vajim
Master

@packavette wrote:

however, when we try to use Facetime or any other type of video chat we are unable to hear the other person clearly, and they have trouble hearing us as well. 

what are you using to access Facetime?  Tried different platforms and/or software?

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@packavette wrote:

Speedtest through the app shows 432 Mbps download, 23.4 Mbps upload. 

This is double my download/upload speeds.  Facetime and Zoom perform normally.

Perhaps it would be worth a brief experiment to check Speedtest using the WiFi device (iPad?) from the same location.

When we Facetime relatives, both video and audio are sensitive to location and sometimes sensitive to the orientation of the tablet.

Message 4 of 6
packavette
Aspirant

Yes, this occurs on a work provided computer using Teams and Zoom, a personal computer using Google Duo, and several iPhones using Facetime.  

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@packavette wrote:

Yes, this occurs on a work provided computer using Teams and Zoom, a personal computer using Google Duo, and several iPhones using Facetime.  

Everything connected over WiFi, or some wired?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7