Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 spectrum not giving gigabit speed.

pkhatri
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 spectrum not giving gigabit speed.

I have been using specturm 300MBPS service for past several years with no issues, Couple days ago upgraded my service to 1GB but not getting results. 

setup is RBR50 Router + 2 RBS50 Statalites

Spectrum provided new Hitron Modem.

Orbi in Router mode.

FW 2.7.2.104

several reboots are done, power off spectrum, power off orbi, then power on spectrum modem, wait, power on orbi , etc.

no effect.

Stragne thing is within orbi it shows high speed but outside it doe snot.

Example of wired connection > cat5 from Orbi RR50 to Lenovo p510 > 1gb network connetion

Orbi_wired_speed.jpgookla_speed_test.jpg

wireless connection speed shows arourd 270 to 300 MBPS only.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
svetaketu
Luminary

Re: Orbi RBR50 spectrum not giving gigabit speed.

Hi @pkhatri,

I maybe wrong but cat5 cable has a bandwidth of up to 100 MHz, supports 10 or 100Mbps speed. 

And what are the specs of your wired and wireless network cards? What is the max speeds it can reach as per the manufacturers documentation? The P510 was released in 2016, so the network cards may not support the speeds you are expecting. Have you also tried updating the drivers?

The speedtest on the Orbi GUI is the speed from the Orbi to your Hitron modem. the speedtest on your pc is from the Orbi to your pc/device. 

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 6
pkhatri
Tutor

Hi @svetaketu ,

the Network card speed is set to 1Gbps full duplex and latest drivers. wireless is Lenovo P50 laptop supporting 5G.

Thanks,

Pk

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

This is a wired speed test so be sure to speed test with a ethernet connection. 

Some wifi devices will not see much over 400-500Mpbs as this is max speed on 5Ghz AC depending upon device support and design. 

@pkhatri wrote:

I have been using specturm 300MBPS service for past several years with no issues, Couple days ago upgraded my service to 1GB but not getting results. 

setup is RBR50 Router + 2 RBS50 Statalites

Spectrum provided new Hitron Modem.

Orbi in Router mode.

FW 2.7.2.104

several reboots are done, power off spectrum, power off orbi, then power on spectrum modem, wait, power on orbi , etc.

no effect.

Stragne thing is within orbi it shows high speed but outside it doe snot.

Example of wired connection > cat5 from Orbi RR50 to Lenovo p510 > 1gb network connetion

Orbi_wired_speed.jpgookla_speed_test.jpg

wireless connection speed shows arourd 270 to 300 MBPS only.

Message 4 of 6
pkhatri
Tutor

Hello @FURRYe38 ,

I also ordered cat8 cable and replaced the old ones after @svetaketu 's response. 

Internet service provider = spectrum

Mfr of the modem provided by spectrum = Hitron

Model = EN2251

on ethernet connection , RBR50 <--> Lenovo P510 (1gb full duplex) connected via cat8 cable
the built-in speed test under Orbi > Advanced > setup >speed test 
shows
909.56 Mbps download and 29.84 Mbps upload

however, when i do speed test from google, or ookla or fast.com or any other on browser, barely touches 400Mbps.
and yes the power off for a 1 min modem and orbi is already performed few times.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend usnig Ooklas installable speed test app on our laptop.  Web browsers can impact speed results. 

"however, when i do speed test from google, or ookla or fast.com or any other on browser, barely touches 400Mbps.
and yes the power off for a 1 min modem and orbi is already performed few times." Is this ethernet connected to the RBR or wirelessly connected? 

Is Access Controls, Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter enabled on the RBR? 
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7