Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBW30 Satellite questions...

dstranathan
Apprentice

Orbi RBW30 Satellite questions...

I just added a new RBW30 to my new Orbi CBK40 kit (a CRB40 modem/router combo and a RBS20 satellite). I was able to add/sync the RBW30 to my existing network fairly easy.

A few questions regarding the RBW30:

1. When looking at the new RBW30 satelite from the iOS Orbi management app, it doesnt show me any hardware or firmware information for the new RBW30. All I see is a - (dash) character.

2. None of the nearby wireless devices in my home have connected to the RBW30 satellite yet (after ~24 hours). Do I need to reboot them to get them to re-evaulate their proximity to the RBW30? Most of the devices are things such as cameras, HomeKit smart plugs, lamps etc (i.e; low-traffic IOT devices)

3. Can someone verify the most recent RBW30 firmware version and tell me how often Orbi releases firmware for satellites such as the RBW30? Quarterly? Monthly?

4. Will the RBW30 auto-update itself or do I have to manually download/install it?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBW30 Satellite questions...

@dstranathan wrote:

I just added a new RBW30 to my new Orbi CBK40 kit (a CRB40 modem/router combo and a RBS20 satellite). I was able to add/sync the RBW30 to my existing network fairly easy.

A few questions regarding the RBW30:

1. When looking at the new RBW30 satelite from the iOS Orbi management app, it doesnt show me any hardware or firmware information for the new RBW30. All I see is a - (dash) character. Is the FW up to date on the RBW? What iOS are you using?

2. None of the nearby wireless devices in my home have connected to the RBW30 satellite yet (after ~24 hours). Do I need to reboot them to get them to re-evaulate their proximity to the RBW30? Most of the devices are things such as cameras, HomeKit smart plugs, lamps etc (i.e; low-traffic IOT devices) What is the distances between the RBW and router? 30 Feet starting should begin with.

3. Can someone verify the most recent RBW30 firmware version and tell me how often Orbi releases firmware for satellites such as the RBW30? Quarterly? Monthly? No Mfr gives details on when releases are forth coming. Theres no set schedule. Just have to keep an eye on the support page or your Orbi devices.

4. Will the RBW30 auto-update itself or do I have to manually download/install it? NG auto upgrades Orbi devices. You can manually install your self as well.

Message 2 of 4
dstranathan
Apprentice

Is the FW up to date on the RBW? What iOS are you using?

I can't tell what firmware is on the RBW30. The router isnt telling me. Its blank.

iOS 11.4.1 (iPhone X and iPad mini 4)

What is the distances between the RBW and router? 30 Feet starting should begin with.

My CBR40 modem/router combo is on a lower floor probably ~25 diagonally  (through the floor/ceiling ).

Most smart devices are literally within 10' of the RBW30.

The total sq footage of my 3-story home is less than 2,000' but has fairly dense walls/floors, etc.

I added a 3rd Orbi to ensure all floors and living spaces are covered. I'm a cord-cutter so all of my media and content is streamed (no satellite, coaxial or fiber TV services). Big Hulu, Netflix and Apple TV user here.

House is brand new and was hard-wired with Cat6 copper gigabit Ethernet for a desktop,  2 game consoles and 2 AppleTVs, and my RBS20 satellite  is on a Ethernet backhaul too.

I mainly need wi-fi for phones, tablets and IOT devices like a Ring doorbell, 2 cameras, a bunch of HomeKit smart plugs, etc.

My goal is to "spread the load" of chatter across all 3 Orbis as much as possible. I have estimnated heat maps. Orbis are placed 1 per floor, each one placed away from each other (vertically and horizontally) to distribute signals as effiencely as possible. 

No Mfr gives details on when releases are forth coming. Theres no set schedule. Just have to keep an eye on the support page or your Orbi devices.

Some vendors do have quarterly/annual roadmaps (usually for enterprise etc).

I was simply asking those of you who have owned Orbi products long enough to get a feel for how well-maintained the products are in terms of updates/patches, etc.  

I'm brand new to Orbi and was just curious as to the maturity and stability of the Orbi line. 

My previous Google Wi-Fi mesh system was patched quite often for not only secuirty and stability, but for features and customer-requested options.

Thank you

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would disable the RBW30 and use the CBR40 and RBS20 satellite. Even this is probably more than enough for coverages and load balancing for bandwidth. I have this same system, use only the 1 satellite and everything I have connects fine in my 5000 sq ft home two story with basement. 40 feet in between the router and satellite.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7