Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router LED stuck on magenta

hawk2g
Tutor

Orbi Router LED stuck on magenta

I updated my firmware a few weeks ago and the LED on my Orbi router is stuck on magenta. When I go into the webui, the only error I see is internet not connected, which it is via Ethernet cable to the router. It's the only method my pc can connect to the Orbi device's webui and it can do speed tests within the Orbi app. Due to the layout of the house, it ends up in a bedroom and the LED is getting annoying.

I've unplugged the cables, turned it off and on, sync the satilite again, but the LED just stays magenta. It starts off blinking white for a minute and then it goes solid magenta after. I've looked around for answers but there is nothing mentioning a solid magenta. The only solution left that doesn't require me covering the device, is removing the LED by force.

Logs show nothing but booting up with firmware version, me logging in and it syncing the time.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
hawk2g
Tutor

Re: Orbi Router LED stuck on magenta

After directly connecting to the router, nothing changed. I then removed the other network devices (NAS) that were attached to the router also and still no impact. I saw another thread where FURRYe38 helped someone else with the same problem but I've rebooted, resynced, reconfigured this Orbi router from factory a few times.

In the end I rebooted the router with no settings changed and the forsaken magenta light is now gone. I have no idea what Orbi uses to determine if there is internet or not, but the only thing I changed on the router was switching to DNS over TLS (NextDNS) which by default is configured with "safety browsing" filters. I did disable them through the NextDNS website but maybe the router already cached whatever Orbi uses to know if internet is available or not.

Silly me for assuming that if the Orbi can run a speed test via that app should mean it's getting internet just fine. In the end it came down to turn the router off and on cliche, although I'm certain a DNS filter was the cause which will help me sleep at night.

Thanks to all spending their time to help and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway are you connecting it to? 

Message 2 of 8
hawk2g
Tutor

It's set to AP mode and is connected to other devices by a switch (8 ports gigabit). The router for internet access is also connected to the switch. The router has DHCP for the 172.16.0.0/16 network but the AP is configured with a static IP when I set up AP mode.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Is the RBR connected to the ISP modem using the Yellow WAN port in back of the RBR? 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

@hawk2g wrote:

It's set to AP mode and is connected to other devices by a switch (8 ports gigabit). The router for internet access is also connected to the switch. The router has DHCP for the 172.16.0.0/16 network but the AP is configured with a static IP when I set up AP mode.

Message 4 of 8
hawk2g
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

V2.5.1.16
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Fritz!Box 7490 - FRITZ!OS: 07.21
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

TP-Link TL-SG1008D

Is the RBR connected to the ISP modem using the Yellow WAN port in back of the RBR? 

Yes, Orbi Router > switch > router > ONT > internet

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you test the following? 

Orbi Router > router > ONT > internet

Also besure your using good quality LAN cableing. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 6 of 8
hawk2g
Tutor

After directly connecting to the router, nothing changed. I then removed the other network devices (NAS) that were attached to the router also and still no impact. I saw another thread where FURRYe38 helped someone else with the same problem but I've rebooted, resynced, reconfigured this Orbi router from factory a few times.

In the end I rebooted the router with no settings changed and the forsaken magenta light is now gone. I have no idea what Orbi uses to determine if there is internet or not, but the only thing I changed on the router was switching to DNS over TLS (NextDNS) which by default is configured with "safety browsing" filters. I did disable them through the NextDNS website but maybe the router already cached whatever Orbi uses to know if internet is available or not.

Silly me for assuming that if the Orbi can run a speed test via that app should mean it's getting internet just fine. In the end it came down to turn the router off and on cliche, although I'm certain a DNS filter was the cause which will help me sleep at night.

Thanks to all spending their time to help and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. v16 is a good build and most stable. I had my RBK50 series on as AP and seems to work great. I presume some configurations could impact the top bring LED. However most cases it just depends on the connection with the ISP services or modem and the connection there is what the top ring indicates. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7