Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite RBW30 Will not connect to rest of system (RBR/S50), weird pulsing light behaviour

brooodie
Tutor

Orbi Satellite RBW30 Will not connect to rest of system (RBR/S50), weird pulsing light behaviour

I have a RBR50, RBS50 and a RBW30 running in a small apartment (all latest firmware). The reason for the RBW30 is that I have a deadspot at one end of the apartment (thick brick walls) and so have the RBK30 plugged in closer to the deadspot. This worked fine for a couple of months. On December 24th I noticed the deadspot had returned and after logging into my system noticed the satellite was 'disconnected'. I've tried:

- Turn satellite on and off.

- Tried resyncing satellite to the RBR50.
- Tried factory resetting satellite. (Get a single orange light, or sometimes an extended orange light)
- Tried factory resetting the RBR50 and RBS50.

- Tried downgrading the firmware of the RBR50 and RBS50 before trying to sync the satellite (to 1.12.0.4_1.0.12).

The closest I've got to anything working was when I downgraded the firmware RBR50 and RBS50, it seemed that in this state some partial connetion to the RBW30 happened, but the device was not listed as a 'satellite' but rather as a connected device with an assigned IP. (When this happened, the device moved to the 'blue light' stage, but it never worked correctly after this stage). HOWEVER this at least let me log into the RBW30 to see what firmware it was running (2.2.1.204) as it registered as a device on the network, I also was able to downgrade the firmware at this time, although it then auto updated. Since then though, the RBR50 and RBS50 auto updated their firmware (There is no way to prevent this) and I can no longer see the RBW30 as an attached device.

On trying to factory reset the device:

Previously the RBW30 would try and connect for a period (pulsing white light) then after a period of time (hours) the light would go off and the device would broadcast its identity using its default SSID. I could connect to this network but would not be assigned an IP, so could not actually get into the admin panel of the device.

However now the device just does a loop of restarting (white light flashing), then moves to trying to sync (white light pulsing) for a few minutes, then abruptly resets (white light flashing). It feels like the device itself is broken somehow, this behaviour is not documented anywhere, even the way it factory resets seems weird (an orange light just comes on for the briefest of periods then it immediately goes back to white flashing light).

It feels to me like the RBW30 is dead (having no ethernet port on the device is SUPER frustrating as there is no reliable way to connect to it), but I bought it on eBay so will need to eat the cost of that, however I'm ready to throw in the towel on the whole system and return the RBR50 and RBS50 to Costco for a refund. The reason I bought this system was for a hassle free experience and even before this it's been everything but hassle free. I'm at the end of my tether, is there anything else to try before binning this all off and buying something else? I'm ready to try any suggestions.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
brooodie
Tutor

Re: Orbi Satellite RBW30 Will not connect to rest of system (RBR/S50), weird pulsing light behaviour

Well thanks for the help I guess. I took the Orbi back to Costco for a full refund (ate the cost of the RBW30).

FWIW this system is complete garbage. Aside from this issue (which might have been a hardware issue, or might have been a software issue), I had numerous issues with disconnects, forced reboots and issues with firmware upgrades.

When I initially bought the router I couldn't even update the firmware, because the latest firmware I tried to apply was 'too large' in filesize. There was a max filesize for the firmware update file hardcoded into the javascript within the frontened of the portal. I only found this out by trawling through the source code to see why I coudln't apply the firmware update (the error was a generic failure). I had to figure out that I needed to manually update to an intermediate firmware (one that was smaller than this arbitrary cap) in order to then update to the latest firmware. A non technical user would have had NO CHANCE of figuring this out.

I'll never buy a Netgear product again in my life, the software around this product is a complete joke, from the dated portal that looks like an iteration of the same crappy software from years ago, to the lack of configuration options, and ZERO support. As a company they seem hellbent on shovelling more iterations of this crap out of the door than fixing the myriad issues with the existing ecosystem.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
brooodie
Tutor

Re: Orbi Satellite RBW30 Will not connect to rest of system (RBR/S50), weird pulsing light behaviour

Meant to add to above post as I know it will be the first thing asked. Have tried moving the satellite to various places, none of which are very far from either of the RBR50 or RBS50, no change in behaviour.

Message 2 of 3
brooodie
Tutor

Well thanks for the help I guess. I took the Orbi back to Costco for a full refund (ate the cost of the RBW30).

FWIW this system is complete garbage. Aside from this issue (which might have been a hardware issue, or might have been a software issue), I had numerous issues with disconnects, forced reboots and issues with firmware upgrades.

When I initially bought the router I couldn't even update the firmware, because the latest firmware I tried to apply was 'too large' in filesize. There was a max filesize for the firmware update file hardcoded into the javascript within the frontened of the portal. I only found this out by trawling through the source code to see why I coudln't apply the firmware update (the error was a generic failure). I had to figure out that I needed to manually update to an intermediate firmware (one that was smaller than this arbitrary cap) in order to then update to the latest firmware. A non technical user would have had NO CHANCE of figuring this out.

I'll never buy a Netgear product again in my life, the software around this product is a complete joke, from the dated portal that looks like an iteration of the same crappy software from years ago, to the lack of configuration options, and ZERO support. As a company they seem hellbent on shovelling more iterations of this crap out of the door than fixing the myriad issues with the existing ecosystem.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7