Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Tri-Band Cable Modem Router (CBR40) & Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000

rv13
Follower

Orbi Tri-Band Cable Modem Router (CBR40) & Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000

I am looking to purchase a new mesh system for my home.  Currently I am in a home that runs DSL and was going to purchase the Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000.  My plan is to move into a home in the next year that has cable internet, so was I thinking of purchasing Orbi Tri-Band Cable Modem Router (CBR40) .  Will I be able to use my old router (RBK50) on my new system (CBR40)?  If so, how would I do this?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Tri-Band Cable Modem Router (CBR40) & Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000

Yes and no. 

No if you use the CBK40 in router mode and the only thing you can use with the CBK40 system would be the satellites from the 50 series system. The RBR50 can't be used as a satellite.

Yes, if you use the CBK40 in bridge mode, this puts the CBK40 base in to modem only, then you would connect the 50 series system in router mode to the CBK40 modem. Then you could connect the CBK40's satellite to the 50 series Orbi system. 

Not sure if this would make sense from a money well spent stand point. Smiley Frustrated

Message 2 of 3

Re: Orbi Tri-Band Cable Modem Router (CBR40) & Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000

@rv13 wrote:

so was I thinking of purchasing Orbi Tri-Band Cable Modem Router (CBR40) . 

If you want to use an Orbi router you would do better to buy a "modem only" cable modem.

Not only will this save you money, it will give you an easier network to manage.

Check the "CM" models here:

Fastest Cable Modems | Cable Modem Routers | NETGEAR

When it comes to using the Orbi stuff in your new home, reset it all back to factory settings so that it forgets any configuration picked up when you get it working in your current location.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7