Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi WiFi 6 release date or update?

Tiilller
Follower

Orbi WiFi 6 release date or update?

I'm having a bit of confusion trying to find if Orbi will release a new system that is WiFi 6 capable or if the update will go out to the current version RBK50. I'm looking to buy a unit for my parents they live in a fairly large home and want to install WiFi cameras around their whole property. It is fairly large and currently they do not have the router to make that work. They constantly have people over so they need a device that can not lag up and can handle alot of smart devices. I would say around from 30-50 devices will be connected. If someone can point me in the right direction to either wait for the WiFi 6 or get the current one and a update is coming that would be great. All the information I can find is from January at CES. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 20
Sevo123
Apprentice

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 release date or update?

I am waiting myself and cant find anything pretty recently that has been posted anywhere online about a date of release. There will be no update to the current units because the current units don't have the wifi 6 (AX) radios. That is a hardware upgrade not a software. I have a rbk53 unit with a additional satellite( 1rbr & 3 rbs) I need 1 more rbs my property is big but Im stuck too just waiting. Honestly best thing go to costco buy the rbk53 unit and you can return it no questions asked once the new one comes out.
Message 2 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi WiFi AX or Orbi WiFi 6 will not be coming to Current Orbi AC systems. AX is a new hardware chip set and will be a entirely new product and hardware system. No information on when the new Orbi AX systems will be released. Maybe by end of year or maybe next year. 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11/802-eleventy-which-802-11ax-and-802-11ay-explained

Message 3 of 20
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

Just read where Orbi WiFi 6 on Tom’s Guide the following “Netgear tells us that the the Wi-Fi 6 Orbi will offer gigabit wireless speeds across the entire mesh network. This router also retains Netgear's FastLane3 technology for superior performance. Like the Nighthawk AX12, the new Orbi will be equipped to handle 12 Wi-Fi streams at once, and it'll be tri-band with a dedicated 4x4 backhaul. That means data will move swiftly and seamlessly between the various satellite units in your home for coverage in every corner on every floor.

Netgear will unveil the final version of the Wi-Fi 6 Orbi mesh router in early September. The new version of the Orbi router features tri-band support with quad stream radios for all three Wi-Fi bands; it also supports MU-MIMO and OFDMA to more efficiently handle multiple users and devices. Expect more details about the Orbi Wi-Fi 6 Mesh system — including its price — when Netgear unveils the mesh router on Sept. 6.”. Looking forward to Orbi WiFi 6 hitting the markets.
Message 4 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 20
englishl1989
Aspirant

Has there been any update as of September 2019?

Message 6 of 20
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

According to to the article from Tom’s Guide website it is supposed to be unveiled or at least more information on Orbi AX come 9/6/2019. Another article I read also mentioned September as the month when it will become available as well. That is all I know so far.
Message 7 of 20
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

If you go to The Verge website it stated pricing for the Orbi WiFi 6. It appears for the router and one satellite the cost will be $699.00. For that price it better be able to file my taxes and cook me breakfast! 😂
Message 8 of 20
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

It appears Orbi 6 will be available for purchase 9/30/2019 or close to that date. Says Amazon and I the Newegg we’re going to be a couple of retailers that will sell them.
Message 9 of 20
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

Gotta say if it can handle 100 devices at once that is pretty wild!
Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep. I see more and more home users having 50+ or more IoT devices. 

What is the world coming to. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 20
Ragar99
Luminary

Are there devices that will see a significant performance improvement over the current model?   I don't think I have any.  This seems like leading edge overkill.

Message 13 of 20
englishl1989
Aspirant

I guess the appeal would be for people like myself looking to upgrade (and future proof) their network. Price is a bit steep mind you!

But yeah, you are right, its overkill right now as few devices can make the most of the hardware.

Message 14 of 20
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

If this Orbi lives up to the hype it should service most homes for a long time to come. Fingers crossed.
Message 15 of 20
althea
Guide

This is very exciting. I have been waiting for this new Orbi system. I cannot, however, find information on whether this new one will support wired backhaul. I have ethernet running underground to a separate house that I need to connect. Does anyone know if this supports wired backhaul?

Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Im sure NG will strive to ensure ethernet backhaul will be supported. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 20
althea
Guide

I don't see the option to buy a second satellite in addition to the included router/satellite. 
Is there going to be an option to add another satellite?

Message 18 of 20
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

Probably like the original Orbi Netgear didn’t sell individual satellites until later on from what I remember. Then Best Buy started to sell individual satellites which is where I bought mine.

I wonder if NG will come out with an outdoor Orbi AX model.
Message 19 of 20
Altafa6638
Aspirant

n a network nutshell. Wi-Fi 6 supplants 802.11ac (now known as Wi-Fi 5), which most current routers and devices run.

The general idea of this renaming is to make the standard easier to remember and understand. Rather than regaling you with a meaningless string of numbers and letters that most people will most likely forget, you get something more in line with phone naming standards like 3G, 4G and 5G.

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7