Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi WiFi and PS4 using Wifi

rugby49
Aspirant

Orbi WiFi and PS4 using Wifi

Been running Orbi and the satellite for about three weeks now and have to say it is overall working extremely well in my 3100 square foot house.  Just bought a new LG OLED TV so moved the gaming consoles from a hard wired connection to using wifi.  XBox One S is fine and has a good stable connection but the PS4 is only connecting at 9mbs, which thinking the cheap parts that Sony probably uses is more an issued with them.  Now when I run a speed test over Wifi I typically show 90 to 100 mbs per second anywhere in the house.  So I would rather not move the PS4 back to a hard wired connection on the second floor but was wondering if a powerline adapter would still work with Orbi.  I already have two here just have not tried hooking them up yet.  I did read the post earlier that talked briefly about Powerline adapter but never read about anyone actually trying it. I have my setup a little different where my internet connection is on the second floor over a garage and have the satellite on the first floor centrally located.  Excellent wifi coverage throughout the house and along the perimeter outside.

Message 1 of 9
rhester72
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi WiFi and PS4 using Wifi

You could link Powerline from the Orbi to the destination, but the way I solved for this is to hardwire the PS4 into my Orbi satellite - giving wired speed and latency even over 5G backhaul.

Rodney

Message 2 of 9
rugby49
Aspirant

Wish I could but not practical. Last resort I can move it back to second floor in the room with Orbi where it would be hard wired to router. Just ran a few more speed test. Pulled the Ps4 out of the cabinet thinking wood might be blocking signal and it was 17mbs. Put it back in cabinet and ran network test through PS4 and it was 50mbs. Seems to be all over the place. Will live with it as the XBox One S  has hardware capability for 4K and UHD as well as the normal streaming.

Message 3 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Rugby49

Have you tried with the latest firmware 1.4.0.16 this is a large update with alot of fixes I would suggest updating to see if you get better performance on your PS4.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 9
GamerHonu
Star

The PS4 and frankly all Sony gaming products (except perhaps the PS4 Pro which I read uses a different wifi chip) are a disaster when it comes to WiFi throughput. I use Powerline still with Orbi and they work great for devices that don't have WiFi at all or things like the PS4. I personally try to limit the amount of Powerline devices plugged in, the more I had the worse the throughput got. I currently have three, one at the Orbi, one at the PS4 and one hooked up to a non-WiFi device. All work great.

Message 5 of 9

got a ps4 here and its working perfectly with the orbi , have set the 2.4 gig to ch 11 and 5 gig to ch 44 

Message 6 of 9
rugby49
Aspirant

Yes.  Have the latest firmware.  I will see how it goes for now.  It has a connection.  It is just a lot lower than I expected.  When I run a speed test from my cell phone just about anywhere in the house now at the furthest point I am about 90mbs and in the room where the gaming devices are I am typically 125 - 130mbs.  However on both the XBox One S and PS 4 when I check network details they connect anywhere from 9mbs to 50 mbs over wifi.  Not sure how accurate the details are over console or why there would be such a difference.

Message 7 of 9
rhester72
Virtuoso

Console wifi is _terrible_, across the board - my nVidia SHIELD TV being the worst by far (latencies of 777msec sitting _next to the AP_ are not uncommon).

Best suggestion here is to either get a satellite close enough to consoles to hardwire them, or try bridging Powerline from the router to the console if you can't get a satellite close enough.

Rodney

Message 8 of 9
rugby49
Aspirant

Totally agree.   I will have to look to see if Netgear has come out with the satellite only to buy.  What just happened this morning and one other time two days ago is the XBox One S lost wireless connection entirely and I have to reenter the network information including the Wifi password.  In the past, non Orbi days, when I downed the network for an update, reboot or loss from a power outage everything would automatically connect when the network was available.  My son was also home last week for a visit and said about 2:00am EST the entire Orbi system was down and he could not connect.  He had to reboot the router and reconnect his XBox to the network.  Have to check to see if their are system logs in Orbi that would show what would happen.  But right now if Netgear does not have a satellite to purchase I have two older powerline devices here I can use.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7