Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi adapter plug keeps falling out of wall socket

BmMdlk
Tutor

Orbi adapter plug keeps falling out of wall socket

I've had the Orbi router and 2 satellites for about 3 weeks and it's fixed connection problems in our house. It's great in everyway so far. However, I can't get the large power adapters to stay firmly connected in the wall sockets. Since it's orientation is parallel to the floor, the weight of it has a tendancy to work it's way out. I don't know why the design engineers didn't put it at 90 degrees from where it is now, so in the lower of the 2 sockets it would tend to rest against the wall. When this has happened on an extension cord, I just slightly bend the prongs in and that works fine. However, the plastic is rigid enough on the adapter and the prongs are thick so there is no flex and I'm concerned that it'll just break if I try this fix. I have one satellite sort of concealed on a bookshelf and the adapter is propped up on books to hold it in place, but the other in the living room is only 3/4 in and you have to speak softly and tiptoe past or it might fall out.

I didn't see anyone else posting about this problem so wondering if there are any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Orbi adapter plug keeps falling out of wall socket

The contacts inside your wall socket may too worn to properly grip the blades on the adapter.  You may want to consider replacing the socket.  Be careful when dealing with A/C electricity.  If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, then you should have someone qualified to do it for you.  

Otherwise, plug the adapter into a power strip or extension cord so that its weight doesn't work against itself.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The contacts inside your wall socket may too worn to properly grip the blades on the adapter.  You may want to consider replacing the socket.  Be careful when dealing with A/C electricity.  If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, then you should have someone qualified to do it for you.  

Otherwise, plug the adapter into a power strip or extension cord so that its weight doesn't work against itself.

Message 2 of 3
BmMdlk
Tutor

Thanks, I thought I might have to do that. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7