Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and BT Home Hub 4

jules2323
Aspirant

Orbi and BT Home Hub 4

Hi,

My setup consists of a BT Openreach DSL box which in turn is connected via ethernet to my BT Home Hub 4. I have disabled wifi on the home hub and plugged my Orbi in .. in router mode. Everything seems to work but as expected... it has created a second 10.x subnet for the Orbi network.

My question is, should I switch to access mode on the Orbi or better still can I just remove the BT Home Hub and plug the Orbi router into the Openreach DSL box to simplify things and have everything back on the 192.x subnet?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can bridge the modem/hub so that the Orbi router gets a public IP address, this would be preferred. If not, then if the modem/hub has a DMZ feature, you can use this feature on the modem for the Orbi routers IP address it gets from the modem/hub and use the Orbi router in router mode instead of AP mode. This helps with double NAT conditions.

Message 2 of 4
jules2323
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly internet tells me BT Home Hub 4 does not support bridge mode. DMZ option looks limited.

So I guess, access point mode or I by something like a Netgear DM200 to replace the home hub 4?

Or live with the seperate subnet

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Give the DMZ a try...should work for Orbi in router mode.

I would check with your ISP first to see what they support or BYOM.

Some say that the DM200 is not a good modem.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7