Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi cannot connect Old Windows Mobile 6.1 device to WiFi, Only to Guest Network

Frankpjr
Aspirant

Orbi cannot connect Old Windows Mobile 6.1 device to WiFi, Only to Guest Network

I have now had this Orbi and 1 satellite installed for 1 week and I seem to have only 1 issue that I had not had with old router. I have a Palm TreoPro that cannot connect to WiFi router, it will only see and connect to Guest network. I tried to manually add the network WiFi information but it will not connect because it don't see it to connect. I have numerous other devices that connect WiFi fine, just this one device.

What would cause any device to only see the guest network and not the main WiFi network?

Message 1 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi cannot connect Old Windows Mobile 6.1 device to WiFi, Only to Guest Network

That Treo is a fairly old device.  The default security for Orbi on the Guest network is "None."  Maybe the Treo doesn't support the default securty of Orbi's main network, which is WPA2-PSK.

You could try setting the Orbi main WiFi security to "None" and see if the Treo can see it.

Message 2 of 6
Frankpjr
Aspirant

Re: Orbi cannot connect Old Windows Mobile 6.1 device to WiFi, Only to Guest Network

I know it is an older device but I am using the exact same passphase and wpa2-tkip like I was with old router. My other devices saw the network fine just the TreoPro does not see main network even. Even my PSP 1000 sees the network fine and that had troubles in past.

Message 3 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Ok, but did you try my suggestion of temporarily changing security to None and see if the Treo sees the main Orbi WiFi network?

Or are you also using wpa2-tkip on your Orbi guest network that the Treo can see?

Message 4 of 6
Frankpjr
Aspirant

Sorry should have been clear that I have the guest network setup with wep2-TKIP just with a much shorter passphase. And I meant that the old router was using exact same passphase and wep2 protection. Just odd how treopro does not even see the main network, only guest

Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

OK.  Thanks.

I have an older 802.11b device that will work with Orbi if I manually enter the SSID and passphrase, but the device does not appear in the Orbi list of attached devices, nor in my router's list of devices.  The device works though.

Sometimes you just need to replace old gear.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7