Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi kills AT&T DVR

rwood24
Aspirant

Orbi kills AT&T DVR

Orbi kills AT&T DVR.  Hours on the phone with Netgear and AT&T, no solution. Previous posts, same subject do not work. All other internet services working, love the Orbi, but can't keep it if my DVR can't stay online. Have set AT&T router to bypass mode, all devices connected Orbi, still no joi.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

Might try this, set ISP modem back to router mode. Use the Modems DMZ for the Orbi router in router mode. Input the IP address the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem and put this into the modems DMZ. Set a IP address reservation for the Orbi IP address ON the modem/router so it doesn't change. Then see what happens.

If not, try putting the Orbi into AP modem with the ISP modem in router mode and check...

Your DVR might need direct contact with the ISP modem rather then another 2ndary router...

Message 2 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It doesn't matter what configuration you set with the Orbi or any other third party router you will not be able to have the AT&T DVR work behind any other router other than the one AT&T privided you, AT&T designed it this way.

Your only option is to directly connect your AT&T DVR to their gateway let it run your firewall, DHCP, etc and put the ORBI in Access Point Mode to provide your wireless.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

He can use use the Orbi in router mode as long as he can use the Modems DMZ for the Orbi router. This will work as well. 

Definatlely needs to connect the DVR to the ATT modem/router though. 

Message 4 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ok you don't have to believe me but U-Verse/AT&T DVR's do not work through any other device, even in DMZ mode, they must be directly connected to the U-Verse/AT&T Gateway.
Message 5 of 10
ukwildcat4life7
Aspirant

You are right that the Uverse TV receivers have to be connected to the AT&T Gateway but like Furry said you can still use the Orbi as your router via DMZ plus mode......I know this because thats my current setup and has been for two years.  You can use your own third party router via DMZ plus mode but you do have to keep the Uverse receivers whether they are the wireless models that use the WAP that AT&T provides or if they are hardwired ( like mine) to the Uverse Gateway.  AT&T designed it this way and it has something to do with the multicasting  and thats why third party routers won't work with the Uverse receivers.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

DMZ was mentioned for his Orbi router only. He'll need to connect his DVR back to the ISP Modem and not the Orbi router. 

Message 7 of 10
rwood24
Aspirant

I appreciate all the great feedback.

My setup - ATT uverse Pace modem 5268AC -> Orbi (DMZ Plus).  Pace DVR IPH8010, tried connection to both Orbi and ATT modem, same result

As FURRYe38 suggested

“ISP modem back in router mode. Use the Modems DMZ for the Orbi router in router mode. Input the IP address the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem and put this into the modems DMZ. Set a IP address reservation for the Orbi IP address ON the modem/router so it doesn't change.  Your DVR might need direct contact with the ISP modem rather then another 2ndary router..”

No Joi

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 8 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yeah that's not gonna work, Directly connect your U-verse DVR to your Gateway, plug your ORBI in and put ORBI in Access Point Mode.

Or

Still need DVR plugged into Gateway, than your ORBI, in the AT&T Gateway go to firewall advanced and IP Passthrough fixed and direct it to the MAC address not IP address but the MAC address of the ORBI, than place ORBI to get IP address from ISP, Your ORBI will get your Public IP assigned to its WAN port, run ORBI as normal.
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If the DVR isn't working even connected to the ISP modem, then something is happening either at the modem or DVR...something you'll need to contact ATT about.

Be sure the DVR is getting a correct IP address from the modem.

Good Luck.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7