Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi multiple Mac Addresses

kdeemer
Tutor

Orbi multiple Mac Addresses

I have an ORBI router and two satellites. The router has MAC Address A0:04:60:22:1A:B2. I have a network scanner (fingbox) which every day reports a "Rogue Access Point" with the MAC address A6:04:60:22:1A:B2. Can anyone explain where this different Mac Address is coming from? (the satellite addresses are different).

Thanks,

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
guzzijason
Apprentice

Re: Orbi multiple Mac Addresses

sThe Orbi router has 4 wireless interfaces, or 6 if you use a guest network:
normal 2.4 GHz

normal 5 GHz

guest 2.4 GHz

guest 5 GHz

backhaul 2.4 GHz

backhaul 5 GHz

Each of these naturally have different MAC addresses. The backhaul interfaces do not broadcast their SSID, so perhaps those are the networks showing up as "rogue"? (I'm not sure what a Fingbox considers to be rogue).

ADDITIONALLY, every satellite you have will also be broadcasting the normal (and possibly guest) SSIDs for each frequency using separate MAC addresses, so that's up to 4 additional SSID/MAC combinations per satellite. If you have daisy-chaining of satellites enabled, then I presume that satellites would also be broadcasting (hidden) backhaul networks as well, but I haven't tried this, so I haven't seen it myself (yet).

Message 2 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Sure.  The Orbi RBR and RBS each have two mac addresses. Those starting in A6 are from the 2.4 GHz radios.  Those starting in A0 are from the 5 GHz client radios.

At least that's how mine is.

Message 3 of 6
guzzijason
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

Sure.  The Orbi RBR and RBS each have two mac addresses. Those starting in A6 are from the 2.4 GHz radios.  Those starting in A0 are from the 5 GHz client radios.

At least that's how mine is.

2 MAC addresses *per SSID*. If you use the guest network, that's 4 MAC adresses. If you count the hidden backhaul, that's 6 MAC addresses per device.

Message 4 of 6
kdeemer
Tutor

Interesting. Where can I find or discover these various addresses?

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
guzzijason
Apprentice

Indirectly, you can use a WiFi scanner to see the various addresses that are being broadcast.

If you want to see them directly, I think the best way is to log into the router and/or satellites via the debug telnet interface, and view the network devices there.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7