Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite disconnects

Shaun27
Star

Orbi satellite disconnects

Hi

I just purchased an Orbi 50 and a satellite. The satellite keeps disconnecting. It will flash white, then goes to blue and then reconnects. This units are only a week old. The router is fine.  

can anyone advise?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Shaun27
Star

Ok.

seems the minimum distance between the router and satellite is 30 to 40 feet? So, the problem could well be they are too close. 

Will end the thread here

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
Shaun27
Star

Would add, this happened four times this week.  The firmware   is up-to-date . I am connecting my IPad, IMac and IPhone  This is a replacement for my Apple extreme, which sadly started to show it's age.  I have to say, the Apple extreme was rock solid and in 10 years hardly disconnected.  The Orbi is not off to a good start.

is this a firmware Issue?   

Message 2 of 9
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

What version of firmware is installed on the router and satellite?  If it is v2.5.0.x and you have the RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite, then I suggest manually upgrading to the v2.5.1.8 firmware.  Also, since this is a new install, contact Netgear support for their help (you have 90 days of support).

The v2.5.0.x firmware is buggy and has been retracted from the NG site.  You can download v2.5.1.8 for the RBR50 and RBS50 from https://www.netgear.com/suppzio fort/product/RBK53.aspx#download

Download the zip file for both the router and satellite

Unzip the files

Manually upgrade the firmware on the satellites first using the RBS-v2.5.1.8.img file

Finally, upgrade the firmware on the router using the RBR-v2.5.1.8.img file

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 9
Shaun27
Star

Hi Thanks.

Firmware  is up to date. latest 
Seems to me this is an issue many are experiencing?  No real answer out there. So are only hope is for netgear to sort it.  Shame really, the router is rock steady, my WiFi is excellent within what BT allows and what they call speed. 

Sent a support note to Netgear, no reply......still waiting.  My patience will come to an end soon.

Message 4 of 9
Shaun27
Star

With no answer to my problem I undertook some research, reading previous posts on this subject.

interesting thread

''spoke to someone at Netgear support yesterday, the router and satellite are too close to each other and that there are network conflicts occurring that are causing the satellite to malfunction.

His estimate is that a single router with no satellite should be adequate in my property, (being approx. 1400sqft), and that the satellite needs to be much further from the router in order to work effectively and not to be in conflict with the router.

He sited that the router alone should be able to cover 464sqm (5000sqft), even though this is not what is advertised on the NG Orbi web pages.

When asked why it had been working up to about a week ago, that was put down to luck"

This  could well be the problem I am facing. The router and the satellite are too close and yes in all probability I just need the Router.  

Somethink to work on.

Message 5 of 9
Shaun27
Star

Ok.

seems the minimum distance between the router and satellite is 30 to 40 feet? So, the problem could well be they are too close. 

Will end the thread here

Message 6 of 9
meiqgu
Initiate

I have trouble of disconnect since day one I bought it from Costco.  Spent too much time and engergy to talk to the support people.  Currently if I unplug one satellite (mine comes with 2 satellites), i don't get drops.  I did manually download the latest V2.5.1.8 and installed it,.  It doens't help at all until I unplug 1 Satelitte.  To me, it is their product defect.  I have over 3000 sqft home, but my security cameras are within 7000 sqft area.  I cannot always unplug 1.  I have to, when I work, as my remote desktop has to keep connected. I'm waiting for NG to send me another one, fully tested.  The one I'm using is already a replacement from NG.  I have had enough patience to put up with this router... but I'm so attempted to return it and just get a different one now.

@Shaun27 wrote:

Hi Thanks.

Seems to me this is an issue many are experiencing?  No real answer out there. So are only hope is for netgear to sort it.  Shame really, the router is rock steady, my WiFi is excellent within what BT allows and what they call speed. 

Sent a support note to Netgear, no reply......still waiting.  My patience will come to an end soon.

@Shaun27 wrote:

Hi Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 9
meiqgu
Initiate

i'm with you... the NG support is horrible... they kept asking you to do reset, reboot, check your modem... I have enough of this crap

@meiqgu wrote:

I have trouble of disconnect since day one I bought it from Costco.  Spent too much time and engergy to talk to the support people.  Currently if I unplug one satellite (mine comes with 2 satellites), i don't get drops.  I did manually download the latest V2.5.1.8 and installed it,.  It doens't help at all until I unplug 1 Satelitte.  To me, it is their product defect.  I have over 3000 sqft home, but my security cameras are within 7000 sqft area.  I cannot always unplug 1.  I have to, when I work, as my remote desktop has to keep connected. I'm waiting for NG to send me another one, fully tested.  The one I'm using is already a replacement from NG.  I have had enough patience to put up with this router... but I'm so attempted to return it and just get a different one now.

@Shaun27 wrote:

Hi Thanks.

@Shaun27 wrote:

Hi Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So the one user got his orbi working by putting more distance between the RBR and RBS if you didn't see this.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-satellite-disconnects/m-p/1847398/highlight/true#M80167

3000sq foot home maybe too small for having two RBS, Try using just 1. I have a RBK50 with just 1 RBS in a 5000sq ft home and it works with zero problems. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7