Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi vs Velop

CrazyMonkey2017
Follower

Orbi vs Velop

Hi, I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has compared the Orbi RBK50 AC3000 (or RBK40 AC2200 - my house is under 3,000 SF so not sure if I would be OK with the RBK40 assuming it had all the same features as the RBK50).

I am using the Velop right now (2 pack that covers 4,000 SF). I purchased and installed it 2 days ago. My internet speeds are 150/150 and I am basically getting wifi around the house around 70/70 to 90/90. Is that a steep drop off (I know every house is probably different) but is losing up to 50% normal? 

I have 30+ connected devices on the wifi including 12 sonos speakers (I don't want to lose these - I had read Velop had issues but curently they work perfectly), about 10 wemo plugs, and then the rest are Rokus, Google Minis, Sony Tv, X-Box, Cell Phones, Lap Tops, etc. 

I will say currently I am having zero issues. I can stream 4K content to TV's with no buffering, Sonos is working great, Wemo's are working, XBox working great, etc. 

I think my only concern is making sure I am future proofed so as we add more stuff, or stream more 4K shows, etc. will the Velop still be OK with the Wifi speeds coming in at 50 to 70% of the true speed to the house. Wasn't sure if the Orbi would be a better fit as I heard the network performance is better on this compared to the Velop (or do I not fix it if it ain't broken).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Message 1 of 8
worldofshayan
Apprentice

Re: Orbi vs Velop

Orbi is highly iinconsistent. In fact I bought the Velop first but in early stages and it didn't work well. I'm told now with the latest firmware updates its very easy to install and very stable. Is this true? Are you having any problems with loss of connection etc? If not then I think overall stability triumphs inconsistency any day. Sometimes with my orbi on my 200mbps connection I get 250mbps on wifi and then it drops to 15mbps and I can't for the love of god figure out why! The wifi signal is very inconsistent.

Message 2 of 8
rli
Initiate
Initiate

I can tell you I have loads of problems keeping a wifi signal on orbi. In the community forum there are 12 pages of complaints https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-satellite-dropping-connection/m-p/1338235#M11446 with no real answers from Netgear!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 8
Nikon164
Aspirant

Scrapped the ORBI and bought the Tri-Velop. No loss of signal or restarts since I installed it a week ago. Wifi is also running faster by about 25%. Expensive lesson but worth it.

Good luck!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
chlst54
Aspirant

does Velop auto upgrade its firmware or can you opt out?

That one really gets to me about the Orbi.

Message 5 of 8
chlst54
Aspirant

I just got the RBK40 for about two weeks and it auto upgraded to the latest firmware.  Since then, the main router is randomly rebooting about once a day.  I would keep the Velop if you are not having issue with it as its not worth the hassle for a pricey system.

If you are right next to your Velop, do you get 150/150?

do you get 150/150 if plugged it via ethernet?

Message 6 of 8
radamo
Apprentice

I installed the RBK50 about 2 weeks ago. My internet speed is about 200Mb and i have VERY strong signal throughout our home (~3200 sq. ft with 2 floors).  I have up to 20 wireless devices as well as many wired.  My system has been rock solid since install. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 8
rmadilao
Guide

I have tried the Velop as well.  Depends on the building materials inside your home and location of major appliances, etc.  I also saw lower speeds on the satellite nodes versus the router node for the Velop because it's AC2200 radio just wasn't strong enough to punch through all my walls and ceilings vs. the Orbi's AC3000 radio. (assuming you are comparing to that model).  YMMV. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7