Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Outdoor satellite use?

Pskap
Aspirant

Outdoor satellite use?

Does NETGEAR sell an outdoor compatible satellite unit? I need to find a way to get a stronger signal to a corner of our backyard. However, it is in harsh conditions (oceanfront). Suggestions welcome.
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Outdoor satellite use?

@Pskap wrote:

Does the RBS50Y outdoor Satelite work with the RBR850 Router?

"Works with" is ambiguous.

• The RBS50Y will connect to ANY WiFi router (from any manufacturer) as a WiFi "extender".
    This will be like connecting any random WiFi extender.  i.e. a separate WiFi network, even if it has the identical SSID/password.
  • The RBS50Y will connect to the original residential Orbi routers as an Orbi satellite.

The bottom line is that it can be done, but will have some "disappointments".  Putting a real AX satellite in a weatherproof enclosure is probably a more satisfying solution.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
vajim
Master

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

I know @Mstrbig used to always recommend using a regular satellite and putting them in a weather proof enclosure for ocean side properties. supposedly the seal on the outdoor orbi would fail from the salt with enough time. The enclosures tended to last longer and work better. 

This is all 2nd hand as I'm not ocean side and haven't had to use an enclosure for this. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Which-is-better-rbs50y-in-enclosure-or-rb50/td-p/1981865

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-outdoor-RBS50Y-leaks-ruined-by-water/m-p/1896665

Message 3 of 6
Pskap
Aspirant

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Pskap wrote:

"Works with" is ambiguous.

• The RBS50Y will connect to ANY WiFi router (from any manufacturer) as a WiFi "extender".
    This will be like connecting any random WiFi extender.  i.e. a separate WiFi network, even if it has the identical SSID/password.
  • The RBS50Y will connect to the original residential Orbi routers as an Orbi satellite.

The bottom line is that it can be done, but will have some "disappointments".  Putting a real AX satellite in a weatherproof enclosure is probably a more satisfying solution.

Message 5 of 6
vajim
Master

@Pskap wrote:

RBS50Y needs to be configured for extender mode to work with Orbi AX. 

you may want to post this over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7