Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

QOS- priority by device

slingala
Tutor

QOS- priority by device

How do I setup high priority for one device in my network over all other devices? E.g., I need high priority for my laptop when I work from home compared to roku or iPad etc. I am surprised I don't see much under QOS for this router. 400 dollars is a lot for router with out moderate features

Message 1 of 33
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: QOS- priority by device

Hello Slingala

Those QOS settings are not in orbi.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 33
AniDutta
Apprentice

Will an app ever be released that will have the feature?
Message 3 of 33
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I do not have any info on that but its great Ideas to post in our idea exchange board.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 33
AniDutta
Apprentice

C'Mon Darren. Netgear should take a cue from the active involvement of Linksys moderators in Velop user community and give a better response!
Message 5 of 33
monkeybrain
Initiate

This is important feature for me too.

Message 6 of 33
JMU1998
Luminary

I have an IPhone phone and dedicated media devices so this is critical for me as well.

Message 7 of 33
Krinck
Initiate

Yes, need this as well. 

Message 8 of 33
IDGuy42
Guide

I also need this as a feature.  Love the Orbi, but the admin options are still a bit lacking.

Message 9 of 33
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is one of the features that's on my to-do list.  Having said that, there are always tons of good ideas, and we have to make tough choices for each feature to make the cut on each release.   One of the inputs I use is the Community.  If this is important to you, please go vote for it.  

Orbi Product Management 

Message 10 of 33
TNGvsBSG
Initiate

I too work from home remoting into servers back at the office and need this QoS feature per device as well so I can set my laptop traffic to take precedent over the kids watching Netflix on their iPad. Where do we vote for this?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 11 of 33
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

@amitrele wrote:

This is one of the features that's on my to-do list.  Having said that, there are always tons of good ideas, and we have to make tough choices for each feature to make the cut on each release.   One of the inputs I use is the Community.  If this is important to you, please go vote for it.  

Orbi Product Management 

Two comments.

1. Where do we go vote?
2. I appreciate that you read these forums.
3. We should not have to vote on fundamental features like QoS.

If anything, manual QoS should have been stock and auto QoS should have been an upgrade. For example, I also work from home and my VoIP phone should never take a backseat to video streaming (or anything else).  Furthermore, since it is encrypted you cannot detect that it is VoIP which places it in the general traffic queues.

Message 12 of 33
andreoas
Tutor

Quick question on any updates on this. Is QoS priority by device already available for Orbi?

Is it available on the app?

Thanks!

Message 13 of 33
Mestegall
Star

I'd also like to know where to 'vote' for this feature. I have a CPI security camera that keeps 'dropping' the wireless signal. I'd like to make it a higher priority than other items in hopes that this would no longer happen.

any advice from others?

Message 14 of 33
Mestegall
Star

Hi Darren,

Will prioritizing be added under QoS in the future? This is a much needed feature for such an expensive wifi router system. 

thanks!

Message 15 of 33
tgaertne
Tutor

I'm  surprised this isn't higher in the priority list. My VOIP provider suggested much less expensive routers with QOS that will allow for better performance. I'm sure there are many great ideas out there but performance issues like this seem to need more attention as no service providers are pushing people away from Orbi given what they say should be a basic feature. 

Message 16 of 33
nutgearNamesSuk
Initiate

I use VOIP and streaming video entertainment. If the browser on my phone has to wait a few seconds, ok. I don't want my phone or video buffering or cutting out.

Looks like a reasonable QOS scenario.

Why can't I do this?

Message 17 of 33
Crg1
Star

I know this is an older thread but my OLD WRT1900AC had all of the prioritizing and parental controls including restrictions by connected device. I am VERY surprised at how lacking the Orbie is with regard to management. I know you probably made it for the "masses" the set it and forget it folks but some deeper controls would be welcome.

Message 18 of 33
TNGvsBSG
Initiate

Yes, it's been six months since this started... what's going on with adding it? Such an expensive unit should already have it when lesser ones already do.

Message 19 of 33
Initiate

NetGear team - QoS is a critial feature these days..  From this thread you can see a high demand for it.  

Some of your competitors have this in their Mesh based wireless solution already. 

When can we expect this getting implemented via firmare update?   

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 20 of 33
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We added Disney circle with the 2.1 firmware which have deeper parental controls you will want to check it out.

http://www.netgear.com/landings/circle/

DarrenM

Message 21 of 33
tgaertne
Tutor

Darren, what does Disney circle have to do with QoS? Can you please comment about Net Gear’s plan to add QOS priority by device?

Message 22 of 33
ma_ng_user
Tutor

Posting that to this thread is worse than useless. It shows a complete lack of understanding or caring about the complaint folks here have. We want to be able to prioritize some traffic over others. This is a very basic feature for a wi-fi router in 2017, much less nearly 2018.

Parental controls and monitoring enabled by Circle have very little to do with this. And that is before I get into the idea that I have to pay an extra $5/month if I want anything more than the most basic features of that service. At this point, you've put me off of buying another Netgear product and have convinced me not to recommend Orbi to anyone else. This is ridiculous.

Message 23 of 33
tyfairclough
Initiate

Any news on this? Its 2018 I got reccomended this mesh network but I need device prioritization for my ring doorbell and wifi and ethernet cameras. 

Sounds like the orbi is an expensive switch right now.

Message 24 of 33
tkshaffer
Guide

Add me to the list that would really appreciate any information on whether this is even planned. I have been reasonably happy with orbi but this feature has me considering investing in a different router. I would prefer to just be patient if it is coming.
Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7