Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK20W Power Supply - Moving US to Europe

Adl9128
Aspirant

RBK20W Power Supply - Moving US to Europe

Hi,

I have seen other posts asking if the Orbi is compatible in Europe and the general answer has been that the power supply is 100-240V and would be fine. My issue is that the label on my Orbi power supply only lists 100-120V. The router was bought a year ago, so I would have expected it to have a dual voltage power supply. Does anyone know if there is a way to get a replacement power supply that is 100-240V? I definitely don’t want to get a whole new router system once there.

Thanks
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK20W Power Supply - Moving US to Europe

I seem to recall seeing posts that Orbi power supplies all support 110-240v and some intended for the US market are simply mislabeled. There are 3rd party power supplies that claim to be compatible.  For example, this one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-adapter-Netgear-A010101-A010201/dp/B07FCBDN1V/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?keywor... 

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

they make a 220v to 110v converter....might be more useful in case you need it for other items?

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemansmakes a good point.  The US plug will require an adapter to work in Europe.  Might consider getting a voltage converting plug strip.  Looks like some on Amazon get good reviews, so not so good.  Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BV8TJD9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUDV... 

Message 4 of 7

@Adl9128 wrote:
Hi,

I have seen other posts asking if the Orbi is compatible in Europe and the general answer has been that the power supply is 100-240V and would be fine. My issue is that the label on my Orbi power supply only lists 100-120V.

I have tried about half a dozen of those "120 volt" adapters on 240 volts. Netgear and Arlo have both shipped things directly to me from the USA. (Arlo things can still turn up with Netgear adapters.) Not one has gone bang.

Just buy an adapter that accepts the US plug.

US adapter

If it does go phut – it won't hurt the Orbi, especially if you try it before connecting it to the router – then any generic adapter will work as long as it has the right specs.

You may have problems using a US device in Europe because Netgear locks "NAS" stuff to the wifi bands that are legal in the USA. If you want to use European bands you may have to delve into Telnet territory. But you can clear that hurdle when you reach it.

Message 5 of 7
Adl9128
Aspirant

Good to hear. I was hoping it was a mislabel on the power supply as an earlier response implied. I’ll give it a shot once we get there...just didn’t want to fry anything by accident without asking first.
Message 6 of 7

@Adl9128 wrote:
Good to hear. I was hoping it was a mislabel on the power supply as an earlier response implied.

Probably more a case of covering its derriere for legal reasons. It is easier to slap a 100-120V label on these things than to put them through the testing needed to get approval for a 100-240V label.

I even have a heavy duty adapter for an Orbi outdoor satellite that says 100-120V but has worked for months at 240V. It is just a pity that the bits of bent tinfoil that pass for conductors on US plugs mean that it is a bit wobbly on the mains socket.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7