Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK33 extended using RBS50 ?

bg12345
Aspirant

RBK33 extended using RBS50 ?

I have the RBK33 system, with an AC2200 router and two of the smaller wall plug-in satellites.  I'd like to add wired Ethernet backhaul. 

Can I purchase the RBS50 (AC3000) as an extender and connect it through Ethernet to the AC2200 router?  Or do I need an extender like the RBS33 instead?

Thanks,

Brett

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: RBK33 extended using RBS50 ?

I believe you can use either of them since you will use Ethernet Backhaul. I doubt that RBS50 will work properly with RBR40 if you will use wireless backhaul, so I would avoid adding RBS50 satellite to RBR40 router.

As mentioned earlier, I see no reason for you to get the RBS50 satellite since you have RBR40 router as you will not get out the best out that satellite (wireless backhaul capability of the RBS50 will only be useable together with RBR50 router). 

I recommend that you get RBS40 (Option A) or RBS20 to connect to your RBR40. RBS40 is the same as RBS20 but with more ethernet ports (same number of ethernet ports as in RBS50).

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

I see no reason for you to get the RBS50 satellite if you have RBR40 router since you will not get out the best out that device.

I recommend that you get RBS40 or RBS20 to connect to your RBR40. RBS40 is the same as RBS20 but with more ethernet ports (same number of ethernet ports as in RBS50).

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

THe RBR units only work as router or main AP units. They do not work in extender mode. You can add satellites to a Orbi system, just not RBRs as satellites. 

Message 3 of 8
bg12345
Aspirant

Let me clarify, in case I didn't specify this properly.  I own the following:

NETGEAR Orbi Wall-Plug Whole Home Mesh WiFi System - WiFi Router 2 Wall-Plug Satellite Extenders, AC...

I would like to add an extender via **wired Ethernet**.  Which extender should I purchase?

Option A:  NETGEAR Orbi RBS40 Wireless Range Extender

Option B: NETGEAR Orbi Ultra-Performance Whole Home Mesh WiFi Satellite Extender AC3000 (RBS50)

I have a fairly long home, and I want to place the extender on the second floor above the router and then I'll place my existing smaller satellites to cover the remaining area.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 8
ekhalil
Master

I believe you can use either of them since you will use Ethernet Backhaul. I doubt that RBS50 will work properly with RBR40 if you will use wireless backhaul, so I would avoid adding RBS50 satellite to RBR40 router.

As mentioned earlier, I see no reason for you to get the RBS50 satellite since you have RBR40 router as you will not get out the best out that satellite (wireless backhaul capability of the RBS50 will only be useable together with RBR50 router). 

I recommend that you get RBS40 (Option A) or RBS20 to connect to your RBR40. RBS40 is the same as RBS20 but with more ethernet ports (same number of ethernet ports as in RBS50).

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I concur, try the RBS40.

Message 6 of 8
bg12345
Aspirant

Thanks, ekhalil. That is helpful. One remaining question: if I purchase the RBK23 (one RBS20 router and two RBS20 extenders), is there a way to configure the router to work as an extender? Or would it basically be useless given my existing router? 

Part of the reason I ask is that it's hard to find a single RBS20 extender for sale and the price of an RBS40 is only $50 cheaper than getting the RBK23 three-pack.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 8
ekhalil
Master

It’s unfortunately not possible to use the RBR20 router as a satellite.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7