Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 no internet with Spectrum Modem

PDown
Aspirant

RBK50 no internet with Spectrum Modem

Hello, I recently made an internet provider switch and I need some setup help with my Orbi. I previously had AT&T Uverse with a cable modem. Out of the cable modem, I directly hooked up my Orbi router and ran wireless network "Orbi". Everything went smoothly. I recently changed from AT&T Uverse to spectrum as an internet provider. Spectrum installed a modem only, a DOCSIS 3.1eMTA. We got that set up, and verified we had internet by running a wired line from the modem to a desktop computer. I hooked up the Orbi, and had no internet connection. I them fully reset the Orbi, went through the entire reset process again, but still had no internet connection showing in the setup app. So, Spectrum installed their router, a RAC2V1S maybe by Sagemcom? I was able to hook devices up to that wireless network, "Spectrum", and had internet connection. I plugged in the Orbi, and had internet connection show up in the setup. So, shows internet connection when flowing from modem through Spectrum router to Orbi, but no internet when wired from modem to Orbi.

So, can someone please help me figure out the right steps to take in order to get the internet going directly to my Orbi without the need for another router in the middle?

Because, even though the Orbi says it has an internet connection when wired to the Spectrum router, many websites and other functions will not work (acting like no internet connection present) but others do. I suspect I would need to set up the Spectrum router as more of a passthrough... But since I want to eliminate that router, I'm not sure I need to troubleshoot that issue yet.

Many thanks for any help! I had been hoping for a simple switch out of equipment... I guess that was a silly dream 🙂
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
PDown
Aspirant

Re: RBK50 no internet with Spectrum Modem

Hey, thanks for the reply.  The solution ended up being to return the modem and router, and get an Arris modem from them, and go through the setup process again - everything worked smoothly, just as I had thought it would have the first time.  So, I have gotten to where I wanted to be, with simply the modem piping directly into the Orbi system.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the mfr and model# of the new ISP modem?

I would do a factory reset on the Orbi router as it may have some prior ISP modem configurations, set up from scratch and walk thru the setup wizard while the router is connected to the new ISP modem.

Message 2 of 4
PDown
Aspirant

Hey, thanks for the reply.  The solution ended up being to return the modem and router, and get an Arris modem from them, and go through the setup process again - everything worked smoothly, just as I had thought it would have the first time.  So, I have gotten to where I wanted to be, with simply the modem piping directly into the Orbi system.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

IT's recommended to have a stand alone modem vs a combo unit. Glad it worked out. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7