Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 Firmware Update 2.6.2.104 to 2.7.3.22 not working.

HTWingNut
Guide

RBR40 Firmware Update 2.6.2.104 to 2.7.3.22 not working.

I've tried doing auto install, manual install, tftp method, and while it goes through like it's updating, it restarts and firmware hasn't been updated. At one point, I thought the system was bricked I did the 7 second reset, didn't work, the 30-30-30 seconds on off on trick, that didn't work, just solid white blinking. So I just unplugged it for 20 minutes came back, plugged it back in, it booted up and was back at 2.6.2.104.

Strange thing is too, that I did the hard reset but all settings were intact.

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40 Firmware Update 2.6.2.104 to 2.7.3.22 not working.

What browser are you using? 

Message 2 of 11
HTWingNut
Guide

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You should not need to use TFTP. Normal sending of the .CHK file thru the RBRs web page is all thats needed. 

Try FireFox with a wired PC only connected to the RBR. Disconnect ALL other devices and ISP modem too. 

I would do a factory reset, walk thru the setup wizard. Select manual setup. Once your on the home page, try the FW file load using FF browser. If this fails then I would not update to v22. Downgrade the RBS if there updated to v22. 

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@HTWingNut wrote:

I've tried doing auto install, manual install, tftp method, and while it goes through like it's updating, it restarts and firmware hasn't been updated.

Considering how many recent posts have complained about v2.7.3.22 causing horrible problems, maybe this is a sign. (Don't DO this.)

My feeling is that using TFTP to load firmware is a desperation move, i.e. when the router will not function.  A working sytem doesn't meet my definition of desperation.

Is this correct:

• The Orbi web interface, Firmware Update page shows there is newer firmware, but selecting to update fails?
  • Manual update method accepts the firmware image, the progress bar moves across for 2-3 minutes, and when it reboots the previous firmware remains?

When I have done a Factory Reset on my Orbi, it boots up and wants to begin the setup process (Agreeing to terms, changing password, etc.) and one of the steps is checking for new firmware.  I use the option to skip the firmware update step because I am usually putting different versions on the router for testing and do not want to look for updates.  Does this system do the same?

Message 5 of 11
HTWingNut
Guide

Considering how many recent posts have complained about v2.7.3.22 causing horrible problems, maybe this is a sign. (Don't DO this.)

My feeling is that using TFTP to load firmware is a desperation move, i.e. when the router will not function.  A working sytem doesn't meet my definition of desperation.

You are correct. TFTP was a desparation measure because it was not recogonized at all. Solid off/on white flashing of light, not pulsing, but on / off white light flashing. I couldn't connect. I gave it ample time. Tried powering off and on again with a good minute between powering off/unplugging/powering on again, with another at least 5 minutes to boot up. It took a lot of finagling until I finally got the orange power light and then the tftp was able to upload. It rebooted, then still showed same firmware 2.6.2.104

Is this correct:

• The Orbi web interface, Firmware Update page shows there is newer firmware, but selecting to update fails?
  • Manual update method accepts the firmware image, the progress bar moves across for 2-3 minutes, and when it reboots the previous firmware remains?

Yes, correct, on both points.

When I have done a Factory Reset on my Orbi, it boots up and wants to begin the setup process (Agreeing to terms, changing password, etc.) and one of the steps is checking for new firmware.  I use the option to skip the firmware update step because I am usually putting different versions on the router for testing and do not want to look for updates.  Does this system do the same?

Holding down reset never gets me to factory reset state. It just boots up, I connect (192.168.1.1) and all settings are intact, Firmware is intact (2.6.2.104). No request to factory reset.

At this point I may just leave it be. Seems there are a number of users with a multitude of issues with this firmware version. Although I think I need to flash this version if they release another, you can't skip an update, correct?

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you use the ERASE button feature under Advanced Tab/Backup? This should erase all as well.

Holding down reset never gets me to factory reset state. It just boots up, I connect (192.168.1.1) and all settings are intact, Firmware is intact (2.6.2.104). No request to factory reset.

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@HTWingNut wrote:

you can't skip an update, correct?

Yes, of course you can. I do it all the time.  There was one update that could not be skipped.

The original Orbi firmware was relatively small and some genious put code in to check the size of a firmware load and would reject any firmware larger than that value. When Netgear added more functions, the firmware went over that limit, so they release a special version of firmware that had only one difference: it would permit a larger firmware to load.

Apart from that special case, I regularly jump from one version to another.

Message 8 of 11
HTWingNut
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you use the ERASE button feature under Advanced Tab/Backup? This should erase all as well.

I'll try that later. I need my internet for the moment. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 11
HTWingNut
Guide

Well it seems my router gave up the ghost. This morning it was just dead. I'd plug it in, green power light would come on, but no activity whatsoever.... So, been a good run, well not really. Three years and dead.

I managed to use my Xfinity Modem/router for now until I figure out what to do next... thanks for help here.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7