Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 Firmware Update

herbhsr
Follower

RBR40 Firmware Update

RBR40 ORBI Tri-Band Routers are not listed in your database of Netgear products.  RBR20 or RBR50 are the closest selections.  The RBR40 is probably no longer available from Netgear, but there are a lot of RBR40 networks installed in the community.  It should be added to the Community database of products.

Today's Problem:
Received this email today re: RBR40 Firmware Update. Here is my problem. Instructions were:

To check for new firmware and update the firmware (if available):

1. Connect your mobile device to your Orbi router’s WiFi network.
  2. Launch the Orbi app.
  3. Enter your router's admin password and tap SIGN IN.
    The dashboard displays.
  4. In the top-left corner, tap the Menu icon.
  5. Select Settings > Router Settings.
  6. Scroll down and tap Check for Updates. If you see Update Firmware instead, your router has new firmware available. 
  7. Follow the onscreen instructions to update your router's firmware.
  8. My problem is as follows:
  9. I have an RBR40 Mesh system with 2 satellites. I've gone through the Check for Updates process and the ORBI response is I'm up to date. My firmware version is V2.6.2.104.

10. Here is another inconsistency in Netgear's instructions:
  11. Instructions were to sign in to my ORBI app on my Android Phone with my Admin Password. I do not have to sign in to see all the ORBI settings on my Sprint Galaxy S9+. That's different from the instructions in this email. What gives? 

More importantly Is my Firmware up to date?

On Sunday, March 28, 2021, 11:45:05 AM CDT, NETGEAR Security <security@e.netgear.com> wrote:

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR40 Firmware Update

The current firmware for the RBR40 appears to be 2.6.1.36

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr40.aspx#download 

With your system currently on 2.6.2.104, you would seem to be in the "Twilight Zone" as far as firmware is concerned.

I think the consensus on the forum is that there is no urgency in updating Orbi firmware, certainly not in the month of March.  The wide-spread problems related to Daylight Saving Time are frustrating a lot of users.

Message 2 of 4
jasonstrange
Aspirant

(Will NOT allow me to enter the correct Model #)

I have had the Orbi RBR40 and 3 RBS20 Satellites up and running with Zero Issues since first release of the RBR40 hardware. 

Firmware update 03-28-2021 to the so called twilight zone version V2.6.2.104 (Router & All Sats have same Version) 

There are only release notes for previous firmware version.

What is the fix?

roll back firmware?

hard reset and reinstall whole complete network? (oh yeah I got time to do this crap all the time with four kids, and disabled family member)

I think Netgear does a lot of things decent and a crappy job at firmware, like others said, no version release in email, no pdf of what has changed, will be change, or how the heck to roll back firmware through phone app, or Maybe I login router via ip address and upload old version?? 

Nothing from netgear saying oops we screwd up something, give us a couple of days to get it sorted, and send a hotfix??

Also sorry if my frustration seems attacking. I do not mean that at all, extremely frustrated had to cancel data plan on phone so only source of WAN NET connection.

Hope a fix comes soon!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
Remillard
Initiate

As another owner of the RBR40, I can confirm that the "automatic" firmware update puts me at 2.6.2.104.  The only issue I'm currently aware of is the traffic monitor/DST interaction which affects RBR40 as well as the RBR50 series.  There is a decent workaround (disabling traffic monitoring) however I am also watching for firmware updates for this product.  I also echo that it would be a good idea that RBR40 is listed in the "Model" selector.  It is frustrating that only 1 year out and it's as if the product is wholly forgotten.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7