Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Disconnecting devices at 02:45 am daily

Larkum
Follower

RBR50 Disconnecting devices at 02:45 am daily

Hay, So this is more of a discussions starter then an issue as I have resolved it now, but wanted to know if anyone knows why it happened and also to maybe help others out.

A few days ago I found an issue on my home network, My home server (Used to host games) was going offline between 02:45 and 05:50, I spent days trying to find the answer, spending hours trawling through logs on my server and router, but found nothing. about 2 days in I found that a few other devices where all going off line at the same time, with exception to 1 device that was going offline 15 minutes before, that device was a Sky Q 2Tb TV box going offline at 2:30 and reconnecting at 5:50.

So after a bit of investigation I found that it would enter 'Eco mode', a sort of Hibernation mode to reduce power usage set at a time when most people are asleep, so naturally I turned that off and all is fine now.

But shortly after (Within the hour) I found that my Orbi Router had a firmware update outstanding, I thought it was strange as I had implemented that about a week ago I had thought, it turned out that the update had only been applied to one of my satellites, so I ran the update to the router and the remaining satellite.

Role onto this morning sat at work waiting for my server to go down, think what can I try next, nothing issue seems to have been resloved.

Moving on I am now at a loss, was the issue caused by the Sky Q box or was it due to the firmware not allowed?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Disconnecting devices at 02:45 am daily

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Have you manually downloaded the Orbi FW files and installed them directly using a wired PC and web browser?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7