Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - can i change my ip address

jimknorthj
Follower

RBR50 - can i change my ip address

Hi.  A 'friend' of my son thought it would be funny to steal my ip address and boot him off wifi while they played games on his ps4.  He accomplished this using a mix of questionable sites.  He has turned off my wifi 6 times in 4 days causing some "spirited" responses by my wife and older kids.  He went as far as changing his id to a group chat with my son to be my ip address and "oops" at the end of it.  From what i can see, from the orbi app, he has my external IP address from my internet port ( this number matched what he change his id to). He means no harm as he is 11 but he does not realize the greater ranifications of what he did...yet.  He hasnt done it since I stepped in 3 days ago.  This is all being dealt with through his parents but I need to either fix this issue or buy a new orbi router (neither of which makes me happy)  I love this product.  I use the app to controll everyhing and it has worked very well for these 6 months.  Is there a way to change the router's ip address on  a RBR50 router with 2 satellites?  I have already spoken to my isp and they cannot help as the stolen isp is from my wifi and not my cable modem (??). They recommend buying a new wifi setup.  I was told that turning evrything off (modem, router, devices) for 24 hours would reset the ip but it did not work. I have local cable and internet service in my house.  I upgraded to 300mbps service a month ago to handle pandemic use for my family.  I was also told that upgrading again would reset the ip but I believe that is again for the cable modem not my wifi. Any help is appreciated.  Please also know that I am not a super tech minded user.  I know enough to get by so be gentle if any of my explanation is off with regards to terminology.   

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 - can i change my ip address

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

First one yes, I would get in contact with your ISP and have them help you change the WAN IP address of your modem to something else. Ask them to change the IP address. It probably dynamic so they should be able to revoke the current one then have you power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back on to get a new IP address. 

2nd, I would report him if you feel he's doing this on purpose. If hes on the same ISP service as you then talk to your ISP about it. If not see if your ISP can help you point you to his correct ISP. IF not, you may need to file a police report if the ISP can't do anything. The police may be able to help

2nd, I would change the wifi SSID names and PW On the Orbi system immediately. I would instruct your family not to give the new name and PW to anyone. Or else. LOL. 

3rd change the PW to the log in page of the RBR to something new as well. Do not give this PW out. 

4th, be sure that remote management is DISABLED. Under Advanced tab/Advanced/Remote Management. 

Message 2 of 5
Jetdrive
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

First one yes, I would get in contact with your ISP and have them help you change the WAN IP address of your modem to something else. Ask them to change the IP address. It probably dynamic so they should be able to revoke the current one then have you power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back on to get a new IP address. 

2nd, I would report him if you feel he's doing this on purpose. If hes on the same ISP service as you then talk to your ISP about it. If not see if your ISP can help you point you to his correct ISP. IF not, you may need to file a police report if the ISP can't do anything. The police may be able to help

2nd, I would change the wifi SSID names and PW On the Orbi system immediately. I would instruct your family not to give the new name and PW to anyone. Or else. LOL. 

3rd change the PW to the log in page of the RBR to something new as well. Do not give this PW out. 

4th, be sure that remote management is DISABLED. Under Advanced tab/Advanced/Remote Management. 

I believe he said the stolen IP is from his LAN not WAN so the ISP cannot help.

" I have already spoken to my isp and they cannot help as the stolen isp is from my wifi and not my cable modem"

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

LAN side doesn't matter much, if it's changed, doesn't mean someone can still gain access. WAN side IP needs to change along with log in info and PWs first. Also any Orbi app log in info maybe compromised as well. Once the WAN side and log in info and PW has changed, the LAN will be fine. Can change the LAN though to something other than 192.168.1.1, try 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1. 

Message 4 of 5
Jetdrive
Luminary

That’s what I was hinting at.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements