Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 on Xfinity: Avoiding two separate networks?

SdeGat
Apprentice

RBR50 on Xfinity: Avoiding two separate networks?

I recently got the Xfinity internet/TV service (called Hélix over here) and just plugged in my RBR50 into one the Xfinity box ports and that was it. Everything has access to the internet including the devices connected to my RBS50 satellite by RG45. 🙂

The problem is that I now have two separate wifi networks and it is a bit annoying at times. Like the printer or NAS are only visible on one wifi network. 💁‍♂️

Would setting my RBR50 to access point mode get rid of the second wifi network? I have read some stories about problems between Xfinity and the RBR50 and am a bit concerned. 🤔 My RBR50 and satellite are on firmware 2.7.3.22. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 on Xfinity: Avoiding two separate networks?

This is an awkward question. There are two WiFi networks because the Xfinity  and the Orbi are both creating WiFi networks.  Putting the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode will not change that.

If all of the devices that are currently connected to the Xfinity WiFi are connected instead to the Orbi WiFi, then everything will be on one network and everything will be 'visible' to everything else.

Most customers would go into the Xfinity management system and disable WiFi because it is no longer needed.

It is an awkward question because there is an additional complication.  The Xfiniity router and the Orbi router are both 'routers'.  This creates what is called a "Double NAT". (do an internet search) Thousands of customers are blissfully unaware that having "two routers" can be a problem because none of their activities are affected.  For those few who ARE affected by a Double NAT, there are a number of solutions.

Bottom Line: Only have one WiFi network. Turn off the Xfinity WiFi and connect all devices to the Orbi WiFi.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

This is an awkward question. There are two WiFi networks because the Xfinity  and the Orbi are both creating WiFi networks.  Putting the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode will not change that.

If all of the devices that are currently connected to the Xfinity WiFi are connected instead to the Orbi WiFi, then everything will be on one network and everything will be 'visible' to everything else.

Most customers would go into the Xfinity management system and disable WiFi because it is no longer needed.

It is an awkward question because there is an additional complication.  The Xfiniity router and the Orbi router are both 'routers'.  This creates what is called a "Double NAT". (do an internet search) Thousands of customers are blissfully unaware that having "two routers" can be a problem because none of their activities are affected.  For those few who ARE affected by a Double NAT, there are a number of solutions.

Bottom Line: Only have one WiFi network. Turn off the Xfinity WiFi and connect all devices to the Orbi WiFi.

Message 2 of 11
SdeGat
Apprentice

Thanks for detailed info @CrimpOn.  Turning off the Xfinity wifi is not an option as it provides the better performance of the two routers. 💁‍♂️

I guess I'll have to get rid of my Orbi (😞) and get some Xfinity pods to keep everything on a single wifi network. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, my.  Better speed? More stable? Ability to split 2.4G from 5G? Surely not wider coverage?

Message 4 of 11
SdeGat
Apprentice

That's what I was led to believe with its wifi6 and the rest.
Is it not better than my "old" RBR50?

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

"Better" is such an awkward term.

It is true that the RBR50 is only an "ac" product. It supports 802.11b/g/n for 2.4G WiFi and 802.11ac for 5G WiFi.  It does not support WiFi6 (802.11ax)  Alas, I have zero devices in my home that include 802.11ax capability.  Since the capability is part of the actual WiFi hardware, nothing that I own will ever have WiFi6.  Not my laptops. Not my phones. Not my tablets. Not my TV.  Certainly not my growing array of Internet of Things (IoT) gizmos (smart plugs, thermostat, smart bulbs, speakers, etc. etc.).  Buying a WiFi6 router gets me exactly zero.  Suppose I get a new phone that includes WiFi6.  Then, I will have one device that in theory could benefit from having a new WiFi router.  Alas, I have only a 200mb/s internet connection.  Will having WiFi6 make that faster? No.

If I were buying a new WiFi system today, it would seem prudent to "future proof" it by getting WiFi6.  But wait, what about WiFi6E???? Products are coming on the market every day that can use the 6G WiFi band.  Maybe I  should spend even more.

It boils down to performance and coverage.  How much will it cost to install (monthly rent?) additional Xfinity units to match the existing Orbi WiFi coverage area?

Sorry to ramble on.  I get carried away.

Message 6 of 11
SdeGat
Apprentice

I don't mind the rambling @CrimpOn 🙂

I'm just trying to understand and your answer was interesting (and entertaining 🙂). 
What about throughput for my Xfinity tv boxes, is the RBR50 fast enough?

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@SdeGat wrote:

What about throughput for my Xfinity tv boxes, is the RBR50 fast enough?

I know nothing about how TV works with Xfinity.

• My Spectrum cable, for example, provisions television separately from voice and separately from internet. I use a cable splitter and route one cable to my Tivo (ancient technology lives on!) and one cable to the Spectrum modem which has an ethernet jack for internet and a phone jack for voice.
  • If I "cut the cord" and went with some combination of antenna and streaming service(s), then Yes, the Orbi would provide approximately the same throughput as an ISP router.
  • With the spread of fiber to the home (FTTH), people are posting about their issues with requiring tagged VLANs to support IPTV.
  • Is there a coax output from the Xfinity box to provide service to TVs?  If so, then the Xfinity box may need to stay. Do you get phone service through the Xfinity box?

Bottom line: Beats Me.

Message 8 of 11
SdeGat
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:
  • Is there a coax output from the Xfinity box to provide service to TVs?  If so, then the Xfinity box may need to stay. Do you get phone service through the Xfinity box?

No coax output from Xfinity, the concept is that the tv service is now through the internet with one TV box per tv (that each connects to Xfinity wifi like Apple TV I guess). I do not subscribe to the phone service. 

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

The Xfinity TV boxes are the big unknown. Either call Xfinity or search their user forum.
Message 10 of 11
SdeGat
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:
The Xfinity TV boxes are the big unknown. Either call Xfinity or search their user forum.

Ok. Thanks @CrimpOn.
I am already on the ISP forums and trying to confirm the ability to use our own routers to connect the tv boxes. 🙂 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7