Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50v1 vs RBR50v2 power adapters

Samoussa
Aspirant

RBR50v1 vs RBR50v2 power adapters

Hello,

I can only see few differences between RBR50 v1 and v2 and I noticed a difference in the provided power adapters. Indeed, for v1, we get a 12V 3.5A and for v2, we get a 12V 2.5A according to the specs here:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK50.pdf

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK50v2.pdf

With v1, we have 12 * 3.5 = 42 Watts.

With v2, we have 12 * 2.5 = 30 Watts.

According to the following netgear answer, RBR50/RBS50 consumes 34.68 Watts on full load:

https://kb.netgear.com/31141/How-much-power-does-my-Orbi-system-use

This is kinda weird because the power adapter of v2, which provides 30 Watts can't handle the full load.

Is there any mistake ?

I don't use USB port on my v1, may I use the power adapter of the v2 on a v1 product ?

Regards

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR50v1 vs RBR50v2 power adapters

There tends to be process improvements between versions as well as v2 removed the usb. 

This tends to drop power demands which is why you see lower power needs on v2. 

Can you use a v2 power adapter for a v1? You can use it but if it needs more power than the 30 watts and the power supply doesn't provide enough, you'll get drops/issues/reboots. You might be fine but I wouldn't do it unless you had no other option. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

There tends to be process improvements between versions as well as v2 removed the usb. 

This tends to drop power demands which is why you see lower power needs on v2. 

Can you use a v2 power adapter for a v1? You can use it but if it needs more power than the 30 watts and the power supply doesn't provide enough, you'll get drops/issues/reboots. You might be fine but I wouldn't do it unless you had no other option. 

Message 2 of 5
Samoussa
Aspirant

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I have all my electric network converging into a panel with limited depth, therefore the current power adapter of the v1 takes too much space and I can't shut the door panel 😕

That's why I wanted to replace the power supply of the v1 with another one which could fit better. What if I take a 12V 3A power supply ? Would this be more suitable ?

Regards

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

You can try it. And it might work for the majority of the time. but if you put a load on it and it gets unstable, you know what the issue is.
Message 4 of 5
Samoussa
Aspirant

Ok, thank you.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements