Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router on 2nd Floor, Satellite on 1st Floor, Extending to Basement?

markgriffith11
Follower

Router on 2nd Floor, Satellite on 1st Floor, Extending to Basement?

***Pls note- Im pretty sure my Orbi is the RBK50 which did note show up as an option***

My Orbi Router is on the 2nd floor of my house. The satellite is on the first floor. I also have a media room in the basement which includes a Roku and an XBox. Right now, the speed is okay in the basement, but it does deteriorate pretty quickly. My question is if there would be any benefit by place another Orbi satellite in the basement and then connecting them to those 2 devices via Ethernet? Or is the fact that the Router is 2 floors away my limiter?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
ND40oz
Aspirant

Re: Router on 2nd Floor, Satellite on 1st Floor, Extending to Basement?

Make sure you have daisy-chaining enabled and it will work fine. You'll want to place the new satellite somewhere in the basement that still has good signal to the satellite on the first floor which likely won't be that close to your Roku and Xbox if they don't have good signal from the one on the 1st floor now. But then they'll get a much better wireless connection to the new satellite in the basement then they were getting from the one on the 1st floor so you shouldn't have to worry about wiring them up through ethernet.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router on 2nd Floor, Satellite on 1st Floor, Extending to Basement?

Basements are not great places for WiFi routers. The concrete and metal rods can inhibit good wifi propagation and coverage. It's recommended to place any wifi router on the main floor or above. Placing satellites opposite from the RBR. RBS can be placed in basemens from the RBR. I have 1 RBS in my basement though it's wire connected to the RBR on the 2nd floor up. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@markgriffith11 wrote:

My Orbi Router is on the 2nd floor of my house. The satellite is on the first floor. I also have a media room in the basement which includes a Roku and an XBox. Right now, the speed is okay in the basement, but it does deteriorate pretty quickly. My question is if there would be any benefit by place another Orbi satellite in the basement and then connecting them to those 2 devices via Ethernet? Or is the fact that the Router is 2 floors away my limiter?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7