Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite (wired) connection lost, wireless sync not working

AustinBike
Star

Satellite (wired) connection lost, wireless sync not working

I am running 2.1.3.4 and I know there is a new FW out. When I was checking my system I found that the office satellite, which is hard wired, is no longer working. The satellite in the family room which is also wired is working fine.

I tried to sync but it would continually fail.  Took the satellite downstairs and set it near the router (~6 feet away.) Tried to sync - still failed.

Then I hit the reset with a paper clip. Did a sync. The web page tells me sync is successful, but the Orbi satellite still does not show up as a satellite.

Then the satellite goes to a magenta ring, signifying that the sync did not work.

Interestingly when I look at my list of devices, it is showing up as a network device. When I hit the IP with a browser I can log into the satellite console. The Orbi main console says only 1 satellite.

I had changed the name of the satellite, so I changed it back to "Netgear" and "RBS50" hoping that the system would see that - no luck. Interestingly, the satellite is showing as "wired" even though it is connected wirelessly.

I am hesitent to update the firmware manually to 2.1.4.0 in case that makes the matter worse.

How do I get this device to be recognized as a satellite again so that I can update the FW? I know I can manually update but would rather not head down that path.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 14
AustinBike
Star

Re: Satellite (wired) connection lost, wireless sync not working

Doing a complete reboot of the system worked. I had to power down the two satellites and reboot the router twice. Then plug the satellites back in. 

Now they both show up as wired and as satellites, but the icon for the one that was misbehaving is showing the silver "network device" icon, not the satellite icon (though it is showing as a satellite now. 

Will try the new firmware tonight to see if that straightens things out.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Besure to update satellites first, then the router. Then do full factory resets on all units then set up from scratch. To get satellites set up on wired back haul, add them via wireless first. Then connect the first satellite to ethernet cable and give 5 minutes for the system to re-configure. Check internet access thru the satellite. Then set up the next satellite in the same way. 

Message 3 of 14
AustinBike
Star

Got it running finally. Went to update the misbehaving satellite to 2.1.4.10 manually. Instead of updating the satellite, it apparently updated all, even though I had only checked the one unit.

Oh well. Then the whole thing took a crap and I lost all connectivity. Tried everything for a half hour,  could not get it stable. I had work to do so I unplugged it and put my old Amplifi system up. 

This evening I put the router back on. Lost connectivity on and off for a few minutes then settled into a stable state. Brought the "good" satellite back online. Lost the router.  Fought with the router going in and out for a few minutes then it stabilized. Have not brought the second sattelite online yet.

Very frustrating to say the least. While the Amplifi had its own issues, stability was not one of them. Pulled it out, plugged the 2 units in and was back online, solidly, in under 2 minutes.

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a full factory reset been performed on all units? Set up from scratch on the Router first then add 1 satellite via wireless to the router? 

What is the distance between the router and satellites? 

Message 5 of 14
AustinBike
Star

Have not done a full factory reset. Have lots of port forwarding set up, have all of my devices renamed, and have some IP reservations, would hate to have to do that again.

The idea of doing a full reset and starting over is not appealing and I am somewhat disappointed that the most often response I see in the forum seems to be fo a factory reset to solve problems.

Orbi is my 3rd mesh system; I previously worked with Google WiFi and Amplifi HD. Both of those seemed far more stable. Orbi has a better set of features but clearly a clunkier interface and less configuration stability. Time will tell.

Message 6 of 14
Sevo123
Apprentice

I think Im going to blow up! Lol every firmware same issue! I have a rbk53 plus a rbs50 the rbs50 is hardwired and the others wireless. Whenever I update any firmware on my router or my additional rbr50 they cant seem to connect. My devices try to connect to the hardwired rbr50 but the wifi will try and try sometimes connect once u try to use the internet it kicks you off or once your device connects it says incorrect password smh???? It goes like this for maybe couple hours turn the system on/off , reset , power cycle again nothing until it works on its own. If you dare turn the power supply off/on for the router or the rbr50 same thing all over again! Im lost of words on how pissed I am of Netgear’s firmwares...
Message 7 of 14
AustinBike
Star

I was specificially analyzing consumer-grade mesh systems. 

Ultimately those products look much better, but Amplifi is owned by Ubiquiti so some of the challenges that I had there might bleed over. I literally had open cases with their support for more than a year.

Message 8 of 14
AustinBike
Star

Also, 3 Unifi Pros and an edge router is ~$600, Orbi is $400

Message 9 of 14
AustinBike
Star

With the others I saw either missing capabilities or flaky performance at random times.

Orbi is very stable when it is working but every time there is an update everything seems to go sideways. It is VERY clunky in how it updates and it that is where the problems reside.

I finally brought the 3rd (errant) satellite back online this morning and here is how it shows up, not as aq satellite but as a network device.  Before bringing it back online the Orbi console was showing me the Office sattelite as a satellite but disconnected. Now it shows it connected but as a network device, not a sattelite. These are the types of frustrating quirks, and resetting the whole system seems like a cheesy way to solve problems - it points to a lack of QA over the process. I have been in product development for 25+ years in the tech field, I can spot these things a mile away.

2018-04-26_07-27-12.jpg

Message 10 of 14
tsig
Luminary

@Case850

Yep, I got a kick ass mesh system that works fantastic.  Did indeed get what I paid for.

@AustinBike

My upgrade couldn't have been easier.  The Orbi app said there was a firmware update available, I said ok, 5 minutes later everything was up and working fantastic, just like normal.  Wouldn't call that clunky.

Message 11 of 14
AustinBike
Star

Here are a couple of blogs regarding my experience on different consumer mesh systems:

https://www.johnfruehe.com/category/blog/

The Orbi blog was after the initial install. Clunky install but had not been through a firmware update other than the initial one out of the box (which added to the initial set up pain.)

Message 12 of 14
tsig
Luminary

What knowledge would you like.  Using the ISP's router with wifi turned off.  Orbi in AP mode.  Wireless backhaul to both satellites.  Using all the ethernet slots in the main orbi, one in one satellite, none in the other.  Basically the system just works for me.  Couldn't be happier.  Knock on wood.

Message 13 of 14
AustinBike
Star

I was looking at Amazon and had the wrong edgerouter version.  Need to do some more research.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7