Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set up 2 routers 1 modem

MelsPartner
Initiate

Set up 2 routers 1 modem

How to set up 2 routers with one modem
Ok so I know nothing.

I've got a modem/router supplied by my ISP.

This is in an outhouse building (why the designed it like that i don't know

From this place in one direction I have a wire going to the main home and a router there.

In the opposite direction we have now built an office in the garden for me to work from and I have a router there.

My question is how should I set this up correctly.

Do I need to stop the router combined modem from being a router?

Can I continue to have both routers connected direct to the modem?

Help because what is happening at the moment isn't working. We are getting alot of Internet dropping.

One router is a rbk30 the other rbk50

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: Set up 2 routers 1 modem

Firstly, you should disable the router portion of your cable modem.  Otherwise you'll have two "NAT"'s, which can cause complications.

What-is-Double-NAT 

How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT 

One can use 2 routers but it is unneccessarily complicated. There is a brief description at

two-routers-on-one-modem 

Option 2 is the way to go, with using the 2nd Orbi as an access point (in other words, disabling its router functions).  A better way (that will allow roaming between the different parts of your house) is to use a single Orbi router and as many Orbi satellite as needed to provide a single WiFi name (SSID) throughout your house.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
vajim
Master

Set up 2 routers 1 modem......................WHY?

Message 2 of 6
alokeprasad
Mentor

Firstly, you should disable the router portion of your cable modem.  Otherwise you'll have two "NAT"'s, which can cause complications.

What-is-Double-NAT 

How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT 

One can use 2 routers but it is unneccessarily complicated. There is a brief description at

two-routers-on-one-modem 

Option 2 is the way to go, with using the 2nd Orbi as an access point (in other words, disabling its router functions).  A better way (that will allow roaming between the different parts of your house) is to use a single Orbi router and as many Orbi satellite as needed to provide a single WiFi name (SSID) throughout your house.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You could have two routers connected to the modem thought it would not be a ideal configuration. 

@MelsPartner wrote:
How to set up 2 routers with one modem
Ok so I know nothing.

I've got a modem/router supplied by my ISP.

This is in an outhouse building (why the designed it like that i don't know

From this place in one direction I have a wire going to the main home and a router there.

In the opposite direction we have now built an office in the garden for me to work from and I have a router there.

My question is how should I set this up correctly.

Do I need to stop the router combined modem from being a router?

Can I continue to have both routers connected direct to the modem?

Help because what is happening at the moment isn't working. We are getting alot of Internet dropping.

One router is a rbk30 the other rbk50

Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 6
vajim
Master

Message 3 pretty much sums it up.

Message 5 of 6
MelsPartner
Initiate

Thank you this very helpful