Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

To many satellites?

NESSHINDO
Aspirant

To many satellites?

I have 1 RBR50 and two satellites. One satellite in kitchen and the other on the first floor. My router is in the fuse box.

Latest firmware.

Sometimes i have internet drop outs. 

Support desk told me to remove 1 satellite. Because my house was to small so the satellites where competing each orther. Sinds then my connection is more stable (still somtimes dropouts in kitchen).

i am not sure this is a reliable solution. And now i have a spare RBR50 ;-).

Coverage is acceptable.  Is there anybody with the same experience?

I sounds as a strange solution that satellites are competing......

See my settings below.

Fixed chanels for 2.4 at channel 6 

And  5 at channel 48

Settings.JPG

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: To many satellites?

Yes. 

So best way to check this is to test just the RBR alone to see how well it does with out any RBS online. Then try just 1 RBS, placed out at 30 feet, maybe on 2nd floor up from where the RBR is on 1st level. Test the system out to see how it works. IF you don't need the 2nd RBS, I'd keep it for backup in case something happens. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

If size of home is too small, then could be that having too many RBS can be problematic. 

I have a 5000sq ft home and use 1 or 2 max RBS. 1 works for a 5000sq ft home. Placement and distance is key. 

Message 2 of 7
NESSHINDO
Aspirant

Thanks very much  Furry !

Do you measuse the square feet by adding each floot to the sum? Groundfloor is 1000 square feet. I have three floors.

My firmware is V2.5.2.4

Internet provider is KPN (Netherlands).  My modem is a Sagemcom F5359. Internet connection is glass fiber. (500Mbit up and down). My NG is in Router mode. My modem has unforntunalty nu bridge function so a placed met NG router with fixed IP adress in the DMZ and deleted portforwards on the Modem/Router by KPN.

Distance between my NGRouter and satellity is about 10 Meters. 

Maybe to much overkill in my home for two satellites 😉 Thinking about selling the second one. But if this is the case: how is it possible that the devices are interfering? Mesh should solve this issues i thought?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

So best way to check this is to test just the RBR alone to see how well it does with out any RBS online. Then try just 1 RBS, placed out at 30 feet, maybe on 2nd floor up from where the RBR is on 1st level. Test the system out to see how it works. IF you don't need the 2nd RBS, I'd keep it for backup in case something happens. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You should review this FW update as well since it's more recent than v4:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Message 5 of 7
NESSHINDO
Aspirant

Many thanks. Just placing the update right now.  Did not know there was a more recent firmware. I thought it would announce itself via the web interface of the router...

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Not all FW updates gets posted to the auto update server before they get released. So need to check the download site. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7