Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB Hard Drive with AC3000 (RBK50)?

godot
Tutor

USB Hard Drive with AC3000 (RBK50)?

The Cliff Notes version:

I just set up my new Orbi AC 3000. It is working beautifully.

I plugged in my USB Hard Drive into the Orbi Router (not the satellite) so that I can backup my MacBookPro over wifi, as I had been doing with my previous wifi router.

The Hard Drive doesn't show up as available.

Stumped.

Is the Orbi not capable of doing this?

Thanks for any & all help!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: USB Hard Drive with AC3000 (RBK50)?

I believe you are on the right track.  Others have mentioned using their old Apple WiFi routers in this manner.  The key is that the old router get an IP address from the primary router (Orbi).  Also a good idea to disable WiFi on the old router.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

This is correct.  The Orbi product has never implemented attaching a hard drive to the USB port.  The newest models of Orbi have eliminated the USB port.  The "new" Orbi WiFi 6 line has no USB port.  If you search the forum, there have been numerous expressions of disappointment.

Message 2 of 5
godot
Tutor

Hi @CrimpOn ,

Thanks for your reply.

I had read some other posts which addressed this issue, but I didn't know if, between those posts and now, additional functionality had been added via firmware updates. That's too bad since the available USB jack was the main reason I chose Orbi over less expensive routers! 

Since my USB Hard Drive worked when it was plugged into my old router, I am hoping the following work-around will work:

Configure my old router into "bridge mode" and connect it via ethernet cable to the Orbi Router. 

Plug the USB Hard Drive into the old router.

Cross my fingers.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe you are on the right track.  Others have mentioned using their old Apple WiFi routers in this manner.  The key is that the old router get an IP address from the primary router (Orbi).  Also a good idea to disable WiFi on the old router.

Good Luck

Message 4 of 5
godot
Tutor

Thanks for the tips!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation