Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Apple Airport Extreme on Orbi

C00PERMAN
Aspirant

Using Apple Airport Extreme on Orbi

Hi Guys

I have tried using 2 different routers as access points with my Orbi to no avail

The 1st is a Linksys EA4500, I have set this into bridge mode tried both a static and DHCP IP, giving it the same SSID and using a different SSID.

It does join the network and I can see it under attached devices on the Orbi router however if you try and coonect to the AP wirelessly to takes a very long time to connect 60-90 seconds sometimes even more, then I am unable to run a speedtest, if i check the wireless settings on my Ipad/Iphone it does recieve a IP address subnet and DNS etc

I also get exactly the same issue using the airport express, I am using the Wan port on both which is a direct cat5 cable from the router, (also tried with cat6)

The strange thing is these work flawlessly after a reboot of the Orbi router for around 5 minutes, then after that time show the symtoms above, I have changed the RIP Version on the Orbi router which also worked for 5 mins.

I really need this to work for coverage in my outdoor garage, Orbi do not sell a standalone satalite in the UK at the moment, but I am sure the airport express should work with no issues in bridge mode.

Both the Linksys and Airport were reset to factory default before starting.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Re: Using Apple Airport Extreme on Orbi

You do not want to setup your other routers in bridge mode. You need to configure them in AP mode and connect them as described in their documentation. Bridge mode disables virtually all the functions in the router. An AP must route traffic from the wireless interface to the wired interface, so you cannot expect that to work in bridge mode.

You can buy a $100 wired access point and do what you want also, or a wireless bridge. See Ubiquiti, for example.

Message 2 of 4
C00PERMAN
Aspirant

Sorry I may not have been to clear, on the apple extreme I have set the router side to bridge which turns off DHCP and NAT and then created a wireless network, like I said previously this does work after Orbi router is rebooted but only for around 5 mins

Apple themselves have said this can be done as long as wired

Netgear have also said this is possible

http://kb.netgear.com/31083/Can-I-connect-AirPort-Extreme-AirPort-Time-Capsule-or-AirPort-Express-to...

it just strange why it does this on both my routers when setting up as access points

Thanks for you reply anyway

Message 3 of 4
st_shaw
Master

I'm not familiar with the Airport.  Check to make sure the Broadband port of the Airport is plugged into the LAN port on the Orbi router.  To avoid interference, you will also want the Airport far away from the Orbi router and satellite, and you want the Airport and Orbi on different wifi channels (both 2.4 and 5 GHz.)

In any case, what you are trying to achieve (wireless coverage to your other building) should be extremely simple. Select any wireless access point, or router set to AP mode, and connect it via an ethernet wire to the LAN port on your Orbi router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7