Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using to different packs of Orbi together

Shaun1001
Aspirant

Using to different packs of Orbi together

Hi,

I am hoping for some advice, please.

I bought 2 packs of 3 Orbi RBK53S. Having received them I have found that the packs contain 1 router and 2 satellite units, although it says this on the advert I hadn't realized this was the case. I have been used to BT Whole Home Wifi where any unit can be used plugged into the router. I spoke to support and they have told me that the router from the second box can not be used as a satellite extender. This means that across the two boxes I have 2 routers (1 redundant and therefore unusable) and 4 satellites, (whereas I need 5).

I have now started to get concerned that as these are sold as a pack containing a router and two satellites, will the satellites from the second pack speak to the satellites from the first pack? I don't want to open the second box to test it and find out when I might be returning them.

So to summarize, my goal was to buy two boxes of 3 and have  5 satellites plus one connected to my router. I now think the best I can get is 4 satellites and 1 connected to my router and purchase 1 extra satellite to make the required 5.

This is what I purchased from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T4CJBDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Shaun

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Using to different packs of Orbi together

Yes the RBS from the 2nd RBK kit will work on the 1st kit. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes the RBS from the 2nd RBK kit will work on the 1st kit. 

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

if you use google, theres an unofficial way of converting an rbr50 to an rbs50. 

There's a chance you brick your device but if you don't have a use for it otherwise, might be worth a shot. 

Or you could use it as backup.

Or sell it and use the $ for another satellite. 

Just some thoughts 🙂 

Message 3 of 4
Shaun1001
Aspirant

Thank you, I will look into this 🙂

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation