Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN and DDNS?

Jagdriver
Tutor

VPN and DDNS?

I want to set up a VPN on my Orbi Wi-Fi router. It requires tghat I enabale DDNS. When I go to do that, I'm informed that I need to provide a User Name and Password and that "Your connection to this site is not private."

Why do I want to offer up my Orbi admin password to some unknown dialog box informing me that my connection isn't private?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: VPN and DDNS?

Newer browser versions (ie. Chrome and Firefox) put up warnings - either along with the input field, or as part of the URL on top of the browser - of a connection to a device is insecure. Insecure means its' not https with a valid certificate, matching the URL used.

Message 2 of 5
Jagdriver
Tutor

Thanks.

Why do I need to use DDNS to set up a VPN on my Orbi?

Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Strictly speaking, you do not need DDNS to use VPN.  You could connect to your router using your WAN IP address, if you knew it.  However, the WAN IP could be hard to remember.  Plus, most home routers are issued a dynamic WAN IP via DHCP, and the address could change without your knowledge. So, DDNS is often used to map a domain name, like jagdriver.com, to your dynamically changing WAN IP address.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Less strictly, because of the comsuner NAS product people can't understand that there are Internet connections with static assigned (always the same) IP address, and there can be a plain normal DNS in the game, too. 8-)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7