Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN bypass not working in Orbi RBK22

NLok
Aspirant

VPN bypass not working in Orbi RBK22

When I connect to my company VPN from home, I don;t get the DNS from work. My admins at work keep asking to set VPN bypass on my wifi router but there is no setting like that available. My previous router had no issues like this. 

We use the Cisco umbrella client in our company setup and it forwards DNS queries to where needed. 

The current workaround for me is to stop the unbrella client service and I am able to then get proper DNS response. 

I have a ticket open with Netgear but so far did not get any resolution and they have not called back after August end. 

Can anyone tell me how to setup VPN bypass on this router? I am contemplating returning this router if this is not fixable in few weeks. 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: VPN bypass not working in Orbi RBK22

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Not sure if this is any help:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-VPN-no-network-access/m-p/1644658#M41983

Message 2 of 11
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @NLok

May I request for the following information: 

- What is the exact error message when trying to connect?

- Was this working before using older firmware version? 

- Can you also describe your network setup? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@NLok wrote:

When I connect to my company VPN from home, I don;t get the DNS from work. My admins at work keep asking to set VPN bypass on my wifi router but there is no setting like that available. My previous router had no issues like this. 

We use the Cisco umbrella client in our company setup and it forwards DNS queries to where needed. 

The current workaround for me is to stop the unbrella client service and I am able to then get proper DNS response. 

I have a ticket open with Netgear but so far did not get any resolution and they have not called back after August end. 

Can anyone tell me how to setup VPN bypass on this router? I am contemplating returning this router if this is not fixable in few weeks. 

Message 4 of 11
NLok
Aspirant

No error, when I try to ping my companies Hosts (after conencting to Cisco VPN) it sends request to internet instead of local DNS and hence I cannot connect to company resources. I have to turn off the umbrella client and then I get local DNS resolution.

It was never working since day one of this router purchase. It was working with my D-Link router with no special setup.

I have Spectrum internet which comes to their Modem setup in bridge mode, Orbi router connected to 1 port of the Modem.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try, set the ISP modem back to router mode, then try using the Orbi in AP mode to see if the problem continues. 

You can also try setting the Orbi as router while the ISP modem is in router mode and place the IP address the Orbi gets from the modem into the modems DMZ and see if the problem continues. 

@Christian_R

@Blanca_O

Message 6 of 11
NLok
Aspirant

Will try that tomorrow

Message 7 of 11
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @NLok

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information FURRYe38 provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 8 of 11
NLok
Aspirant

Had to abandon my testing as my ISP said router mode will cost me $5 per month. Also, just for testing I could not connect to the router/modem so they told me to turn in my router/modem and get the new modem with just 1 port/WAN which is in router mode by default etc. So will try that later.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The new modem which has 1 port should be running modem mode, not router mode. A stand alone Modem. Which modem modem would be preferred. 

Let us know the Mfr and model of this new modem. 

Does your ISP support users having there own modems? Buying your own modem? 

@NLok wrote:

Had to abandon my testing as my ISP said router mode will cost me $5 per month. Also, just for testing I could not connect to the router/modem so they told me to turn in my router/modem and get the new modem with just 1 port/WAN which is in router mode by default etc. So will try that later.

Message 10 of 11
mrmikeylee
Aspirant

I had the same problem with the Orbi RK50 non-guest wifi network and my company's Cisco Umbrella client (which I can't deactivate).  A workaround that I used was to use the Orbi's guest wifi network.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7