Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Verizon Fios

SK40
Follower

Verizon Fios

Is it compatible with Verizon Fios?
Message 1 of 7
itGeeks
Apprentice

Re: Verizon Fios

I am going to take a shot here though I don't have Orbi yet for testing. I have FiOs and have used many other routers with FiOs, What I do is create a DMZ on the FiOs router to hang the new router off of, On the new router create a new subnet and connet all your devices to a switch of the new router. Leave the FiOs router inplace to provide services such as STB's/Phone. This works great and I personally like seperating my internal network from the FiOs network.

Message 2 of 7
TheEther
Guru

@itGeeks

FWIW, your setup has a downside in that your new subnet is double NAT'd.  Some applications may not take well to this.  Since it works, great, but for reference, there are other options with various tradeoffs.  This FAQ over on dslreports.com lists them all.  Your current setup corresponds to option 2.

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can put the Orbi router in AP mode if you want. You would have a wired connection between your main router and the Orbi router in that scenario.

Message 4 of 7
GadgetGuy
Apprentice

NETGEAR has a great Fios-Orbi help page now. 

It worked very well. I'm getting over 150 all over the house. More than I'm paying for' 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31100/~/how-do-i-set-up-my-orbi-system-to-work-with-fi...

The ROI is pretty good. Even without a guest network. And I'm sure they will arrive eventually. I had almost zero reception outside the 'router room'--now I have 100% all over the house. 

Message 5 of 7
itGeeks
Apprentice

That is great info for anyone with FiOs or any other provider that reqwires there router stay in place to provide TV/Phone service but I just want to point out that is only one way of doing it the other way and the way I prefer is to hang Orbi or any other 3rd party router off a DMZ on the service providers router and setup my internal network on a diffrent subnet, As we know these ISP's have remote access to there routers and I for one don't want prying eys into my network. It has also been reported by others that hanging the FiOs router off our 3rd party router on a DMZ also works fine and does not break any of the FiOs services but I have not tested this YET but I will soon, This would be a better option if it works for anyone wanting to use VPN.

Message 6 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Look at the link to the FAQ.  There are several options for setting things up.  Each has its pros and cons.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7