Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Want to use ethernet on Multiple Orbi

kcampbel44145
Aspirant

Want to use ethernet on Multiple Orbi

I purchased the Orbi Tri-Band WIFI Whole Home Wife System.  It comes with the AC3000 Router an AC3000 Satellite.  I have ethernet in multiple rooms in my house and was hoping I could connect each of these to an ethernet.  It turns out the satellite simply is meant to boost the signal from the primary router.  Did I purchase the wrong product?  So far results are good but was hoping the results would be outstanding.  Given that I have three ethernet cables in my house all coming back to modem in basement, I would have a solution that would leverage that.  Thank you!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Want to use ethernet on Multiple Orbi

If you have ethernet in various rooms in your home, then these rooms and there ethernet connections should be connected to a patch panel in a closet or room some place, then these connections would and will need a Gb LAN switch to connect too. This switch can be connected behind the Orbi RBR router thus providing wired internet access connections to the rooms that have wire ethernet LAN ports on the wall.

I have this same configuration in my home. 

You can wire connect the RBS as well:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 8
kcampbel44145
Aspirant

Thanks Furry.  But if I don't want to use a patch panel and simply want to plug the satellite into the ethernet, it looks like I simply connect them through the ethernet to create an "ethernet backhaul connection"?  It says to do so with "star topology".  Can you explain what start topology is?  Also, I assume I will get a faster connection than simply using the satellite wirelessly right?  Thanks again

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to find out where the end points from the rooms go to. Yes you don't have to use a patch panel. If you know the wire from one room where you want to place the RBS and that wired goes to where the RBR is, then you can connect that wire directly to the back of the RBR. Then connect the RBS to the LAN port in the remote room you want the RBS placed in. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_topology

Message 4 of 8
kcampbel44145
Aspirant

I'm bad with the acrynoyms, not sure what RBR and RBS is but let me explain exactly how it's setup. In my basement I have the modem.  From the modem I have one ethernet cable that connects directly to the main Orbi wirelss router.  Then from the back of the Orbi wireless router I will have two ethernet cables going two main floor of my house and 2nd floor of my house.  So the primariy orbi router is directly connected to the modem and then two additional ethernet cables are going from the router to the two wireless satellites.  Does that make sense and would that give me better internet than simply running the satellite routers wirelessly?  

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can do either.

WIreless back haul supports up to 1733Mpbs while wired supports up to 1000Mbp connect rates. Rates are only connection rates between the RBS and the RBR only. Not actual data flow speeds. WIred is more stable than wireless. Wireless can be effected by distance, noise, interference and building materials. 

Message 6 of 8
kcampbel44145
Aspirant

Ok thank you. So you would suggest wires.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I prefer wire connected RBS for my network configuration. 

I would try wireless first to see how well wireless works for you, then try wired. See what works best for you. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7