Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Where do I change the channel on ORBI RBR20?

dante928
Aspirant

Where do I change the channel on ORBI RBR20?

Where do I change the channel on ORBI? I don't see it on my app or on the website. Wi-FI constantly droppin because it seems there is too much traffic.  HELP!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Where do I change the channel on ORBI RBR20?

On the RBRs web page using a PC or laptop and web browser pointed at orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1. 

Message 2 of 7
dante928
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. I am technically challenged and this is hard for me to understand. 

Message 3 of 7
vajim
Master

@dante928 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I am technically challenged and this is hard for me to understand. 

Why do you want to change the wifi channel?

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

To change the channels, you need a PC or laptop connected to the Orbi system. Use a web browser to nagivate to the RBRs web page and log in to the web page. Under Basic Tab/Wireless section, you'll see where to change channels if you need too. 

Find a family member, neighbor or a friend who can help you with this. 

Review the user manual as well. 

@dante928 wrote:

Message 5 of 7
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

To change the channels, you need a PC or laptop connected to the Orbi system. Use a web browser to nagivate to the RBRs web page and log in to the web page. Under Basic Tab/Wireless section, you'll see where to change channels if you need too. 

Find a family member, neighbor or a friend who can help you with this. 

Review the user manual as well. 

@dante928 wrote:

And consider what your neighbors may be doing if any 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@dante928 wrote:

Where do I change the channel on ORBI? I don't see it on my app or on the website. Wi-FI constantly droppin because it seems there is too much traffic.  HELP!

@FURRYe38has alredy explained how to use a web browser (on any device with a large enough screen to display the Orbi web interface. i.e. a tiny smartphone is unsuitable).  I echo the concern from @vajim about first figuring out what is wrong before rushing off to "change the channel."  For example, this article on WiFi interference begs, "Please Don't Change the Channel."

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2215287/coping-with-wi-fi-s-biggest-problem-interference.html 

As the article points out, interference generally causes performance to suffer, but generally does not make the WiFi signal "drop".  People in apartment buildings commonly have a dozen or more WiFi networks all around them (some literally "next door"), yet they manage to have decent WiFi.  Most modern WiFi systems periodically scan the available channels and may decide to "change to a better one" by themselves.  With all the nearby systems changing randomly, "picking a channel" may not be an effective strategy.

If changing channels solves the problem, that's great.  If not, maybe there are other factors at work.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7