Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why attach streaming devices to Orbi satellite ethernet ports?

kmkirlin
Follower

Why attach streaming devices to Orbi satellite ethernet ports?

Just installed an Orbi RBK50 in my home. Using the default wireless backhaul feature. Getting excellent wireless LAN speeds on a 100 Mbps ISP connection. I notice the RBS50 satellite has ethernet ports. I know I can use an ethernet port to set up a wired backhaul but don't feel it's needed. My TV room has TV, Blu-Ray player & 2 Rokus, all with ethernet ports. If I connect these to the RBS50 via ethernet cables will it improve throughput on the Orbi LAN? Orbi satellite is still conecting wirelessly to the router, so what difference does it make to hardwire media devices to the satellite ethernet ports?

If I set up wired backhaul would it affect LAN throughput with media devices hardwired to satellite ethernet ports?

Message 1 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Re: Why attach streaming devices to Orbi satellite ethernet ports?

@kmkirlin wrote:

.......... My TV room has TV, Blu-Ray player & 2 Rokus, all with ethernet ports. If I connect these to the RBS50 via ethernet cables will it improve throughput on the Orbi LAN? .........

Generally, wired LAN is always more reliable than wireless, but if you have good coverage to were your devices are located then there should be no difference.

@kmkirlin wrote:

.......... Orbi satellite is still conecting wirelessly to the router, so what difference does it make to hardwire media devices to the satellite ethernet ports?

No difference, regardiless of you hve wired or wireless backhaul, you have the option to connect your devices wired or wireless to Orbi

@kmkirlin wrote:

If I set up wired backhaul would it affect LAN throughput with media devices hardwired to satellite ethernet ports?

Again, wired backhaul is more reliable than wireless but if you have good wireless connection between router and satellite there should not be a big difference.

With RBK50 you can have a 1.7 Gbps backhaul link if you have good wireless environment, which should be good enough for any home use.

Personally, I would always choose to have wired link over wireless if practically possible.

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree with ekhali that wired connections are usually preferable to wireless connections, and that how you connect these devices to the satellite will have no effect on throughput, whether your backhaul is 5G or wired ethernet.  Both backhaul methods totally dwarf your 100MB ISP connection. 

My (personal) opinion is that Netgear put ethernet ports on the satellite (1) because the hardware already supported them and they had space for the ports, so "why not", (2) in fact, it could be exactly the same circuit board as in the router for all I know, and (3) there are LOTS of devices that lack WiFi.  With WiFi chips being so cheap and small, "modern" devices of all types have gravitated to WiFi for all the obvious reasons.  There are plenty of old PC's, Mac's, printers, etc. that were built without WiFi and this makes it possible to connect them (not convenient, maybe, but possible).

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 5
dingzheng
Tutor

And i actually found to connect the satellite wirely is still far better than wirelessly, i connect my desktop upstairs to the statellite with cable, it provides considerably faster speed than wireless.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

LAN will always have better data performance over wifi. 

I have DISH Hopper system with 3 Joeys set up on my wired backhaul. Accept for 1 Joey which is connected to a wireless bridge, all are LAN connected and work well on the wired backhaul.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7