Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

can i put a printer on orbi guest network

vernonls
Star

can i put a printer on orbi guest network

Is there a way to put a printer on the orbi guest network so that I can give my guests a way to print something quickly and easily?  Right now guests cannot see or ping or print to other devices on the guest network.  How could I have one printer just for guests?

thanks,

Vern

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
vernonls
Star

Re: can i put a printer on orbi guest network

Just more info that may help others.  I tried putting a wireless printer on the guest network in hopes that the guests would be able to print to it.  It was a no-go, the printer installation software was unable to find the printer so there was no way to install the software driver for the printer.  I did successfully put the printer on the private wireless network (a Brother HL-750CDW) and users on the private network can print to it just fine. I was also successful in sharing this printer via Google cloud print service. This way, I can share the link that allows anyone with a google account to access the printer.  I just made it a publically accessible printer. I don't think policing the usage will be a problem. 

Hope this is helpful and I also hope that at sometime in the future Netgear will make the usb port on the orbi routers functional as that would be an ideal or nearly ideal place to hang a printer. 

Vern

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
rhester72
Virtuoso

I'm sure you could, so long as you're allowing devices on the guest network to communicate with each other.

Rodney

Message 2 of 4
vernonls
Star

Well, sure, but allowing guest to access my files is something that I do not want to do.  That kind of defeats the whole purpose of a guest network.  The option on the guest network is to "Allow guest to see each other and access my local network" Full access is not desirable, but a guest printer would be nice.

thanks for trying to help.

Message 3 of 4
vernonls
Star

Just more info that may help others.  I tried putting a wireless printer on the guest network in hopes that the guests would be able to print to it.  It was a no-go, the printer installation software was unable to find the printer so there was no way to install the software driver for the printer.  I did successfully put the printer on the private wireless network (a Brother HL-750CDW) and users on the private network can print to it just fine. I was also successful in sharing this printer via Google cloud print service. This way, I can share the link that allows anyone with a google account to access the printer.  I just made it a publically accessible printer. I don't think policing the usage will be a problem. 

Hope this is helpful and I also hope that at sometime in the future Netgear will make the usb port on the orbi routers functional as that would be an ideal or nearly ideal place to hang a printer. 

Vern

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7