Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi and wifi extenders

marknt
Tutor

orbi and wifi extenders

Hi, ive been reading up...
My virgin hub 3.0 doesn't quite cut it 3 floors up.
I've got ex6120's and ex6130's - thinking i could daisy chain them.. I cant!
So... I'm now tied between a new r8000 router and an ex8000 extender (both tri-band), or Orbi rbk50/53.
My question is... If i go for the Orbi (works out slightly cheaper, and reviews are slightly better) - especially the rbk50 (rbk53 isn't quite so competitive), can i then extend (with the ex6130) from the satellite, or would the extender still 'connect' back to the router?
Thanks in advance...
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: orbi and wifi extenders

Orbi satellites will only connect to is main base router. The EX unit will not be needed if you decide to go with the Orbi system.

Whats the size of your home? SqFt?

Message 2 of 14
marknt
Tutor

Thanks for the answer.
I know the satellite will only connect to the router.
My question is, with a 'single ssid network' would an additional extender extend from the satellite (as it would be physically closer to the satellite), or sync all the way back to the router?
Not sure what the house is in square footage - 4 bed, 3 storey modern semi/town house. Living room and kitchen on ground floor. 2 double bedrooms on first, and 2 double on second.
Virgin comes in behind the tele, in the corner of living room, but I'm going to cat5 from that to the bottom of the stairs, where i would put the new router, putting virgin in modem only.
Then satellite probably on top floor - due to suitable places to plug it in... But if the router isn't powerful enough to get to the top floor to 'feed' the satellite, it might have ti go on the first floor... Which raises my question about extending the satellite with an extender...
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

The extender would connect to either satellite or router.

I have a 5000sq ft home, Use the base router at one end of the house and 1 satellite at the other end. 40 feet in between. I have great coverage and performance. I would highly recommend trying the Orbi out with Just one satellite. Placement will be key of course. No closer than 30 feet in between the router and satellite and between satellites if you get two satellites.

Message 4 of 14
marknt
Tutor

Thank you.
Is it really that good?
I think I'm likely stuck with rbk50 (router and 1 satellite) for now. Simply down to Amazon currently selling it at £250, whereas the rbk53 is £400 - an extra £150 for another satellite - which i believe you can pick them up for anyway.
So no saving on buying that bundle from the start.
Does the single SSID really work? And hand off between router and satellite when wondering round the house? That's the main issue at the moment - with multiple extenders, even though they're the same SSID, devices stay connected to a single extender - eventually being too far from it to work, despite staying connected to it. Kids go mental over it!!! I, on the other hand, just disconnect and reconnect WiFi, because i know what its doing - they refuse to listen!!!
Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes the single SSID works for most devices. Some users have expressed that some odd ball devices dont' work. The handling of the frequencies and such is done by the router, however it also depends on how well the client devices are designed as well. All of my devices have been working well since I got my Orbi installed. I'm been impressed by the Orbi I have and the coverage it does for my home. 

Message 6 of 14
marknt
Tutor

Thanks for all your advice.
I tried working out square footage, based on another new build estate, and the houses there that most look like ours.
I worked out that our tiny house is around 2000-2500 sq. Feet. Roughly.
So reading between the lines, my shocking windows phone (i actually really like it!) is probably the only device that will struggle, because MS do nothing easy!! I can live with that...
I think that in the next few days, i might be buying a shiny new rbk50...!
Thanks again.
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now how you like it.

You can follow how I set my friends 50 series up if you like:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Good Luck.

Message 8 of 14
marknt
Tutor

Been thinking... Not sure what i was planning will work...
Was going to buy rbk50, change virgin to modem mode, cat5 that to rbk router, and have it provide wifi with the satellite, turn WiFi off on the virgin box.
But... Sky box doesn't support wireless, only cat5 connection. As rbk router won't be near this, it'll have to be fed from virgin hub. If that's in modem mode, it won't allow sky Q on the internet...
So... If i do the same cabling/positioning wise, but leave virgin as router (disable WiFi), cat5 to sky, and cat5 to rbk router, then set rbk as AP only, will Orbi still work the same - sync with satellite to extend the WiFi range, and still provide a single SSID, hand off between router and satellite, etc?
I could cat5 the house where necessary... But i don't have the time or energy to do that!
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, you can do that an run the Orbi in AP mode. Some prefer this.

If you want to use the modem in router mode and the Orbi in router mode as well, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

Message 10 of 14
marknt
Tutor

Excellent.
Thanks. That was another question i had - can't it be a router behind the virgin router... In a DMZ or such... And yes it can!
Thank you very much for your help
Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 12 of 14
marknt
Tutor

Thanks for all the help.
Bought the rbk50 - default setup... Everyone happy!!
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements