× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Auto VoIP Question

Rneal1973
Guide

Auto VoIP Question

About 18 months ago, we went with a hosted phone provider, Nextiva, and also purchased Yealink T46U phones. On our switches, we opted for Auto-VoIP using OUI. In this configuration, an access port has two untagged VLANs, the default VLAN1, and the VoIP VLAN21. Phones get an IP from VLAN21, PCs connected to the phones get VLAN1. All is right with the world.

Fast forward to now, and hard phones are less of a priority. We've embraced flexible/mobile working arrangements, so staff is often in different locations, meaning hard phones are less practical. There're still use cases for common areas like a lobby, breakroom, etc. But with softphones becoming the norm, I still want to ensure voice traffic is prioritized.

I guess I should just lean into the Auto-VoIP feature and also enable protocol based. In this case, if I simply enable the applicable ports -- Auto-VoIP >> Protocol Based >> Port Settings >> Auto-VoIP Mode (Enabled) -- Is this effectively telling the switch to prioritize protocols detected as VoIP traffic? If so, should both access and trunk ports be enabled, or just access ports? I noticed unlike OUI, there's no VLAN value. I'm assuming this is because with OUI it's identifying an actual device via MAC address and applying a VLAN, where the same wouldn't be applicable with protocols.

Is it OK to have both protocol based and OUI enabled simultaneously? Or should I turn off OUI if I intend to enable protocol based for softphones? Is there anything else I'd need to do? The priority is set to traffic class with a value of 5.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements